'Mortal as I am, I know that I am born for a day. But when I follow at my pleasure the serried multitude of the stars in their circular course, my feet no longer touch the earth.'

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog in

Share | 

Religion

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Thrasymachus
Tower
Tower

PostSubject: Religion    Wed May 31, 2017 7:33 pm

Religions are unconscious philosophies.

"We must, now armed with such a language, realize the “transcendental unity of ideas,” through a new morality that aims, not to hypostasize experience and grasp in positive knowledge a series of particular virtues and vices, but rather to fully explicate this continuity; where philosophy exists to represent this transcendental order, morality most exist to mediate the two spheres, the spheres of experience and ideality." --Parodites

"Between this sky and the faces turned toward it there is nothing on which to hang a mythology, a literature, an ethic, or a religion—only stones, flesh, stars, and those truths the hand can touch." --Camus

"It is a tedious thing to be always beginning life; they live badly who always begin to live." --Seneca

"I kick ass, all these other humans suck balls." --Inmendham
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower

PostSubject: Re: Religion    Wed May 31, 2017 7:44 pm

Yes!

Thats a long awaited definition.

*clinking grails*

View user profile
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower

PostSubject: Re: Religion    Wed May 31, 2017 8:59 pm

This is why symbols are instrumental, as are melodies and scents, and all sensual things - why Catholicism is a religion but Protestantism is not -
unless the dank fumes of guilt and remorse that one find in the churches counts as the breath of god - ah, rhetoric. Forget both.

The larger point takes us back to animal sacrifice, or human sacrifice - but let's stick with animals as an example, the spirit as it was seen to emit from the freshly spilled blood - this sensuous thirst for experience of 'something more' - which is prevalent throughout the excess that is the perceptible world and works through the subconscious physiology of taste and behavior that forms a 'tribe under god'.

View user profile
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower

PostSubject: Re: Religion    Wed May 31, 2017 9:01 pm

- What is a religious man?
- One who bows before a judgment he has made before he became aware of it.

View user profile
Sisyphus
Archer
Archer

PostSubject: Re: Religion    Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:00 am

Well, as a self-proclaimed Atheist I would not be able to disagree with that and still remain honest.

But all cultures have some sort of creation myth and they always need a supernatural power for its creation. Therefore the need for a God and the beginning of their religion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower

PostSubject: Re: Religion    Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:14 pm

It really only means 'the unthought source' - mixed with a degree of reverence for that source.
and to be fair, until recently, there wasnt any logical idea that could do any better.
There was no logic of the subconscious, basically until Nietzsche showed how that is not fundamentally different from the conscious logics - all are will to power and nothing besides.
To me this means self-valuing and ultimately a lot besides. But all of that besides is just experience, no law or principle, just fleeting being that can take on any form until/unless it disintegrates.

what survives is only efficiency in reproduction, be it of gene or method or story. 99% of willing to power goes right past and beyond that purpose, into the world of play, fantasms and genius.

This results in joy, which itself is actually the thing that is being reproduced - but not by means as palpable or comprehensible as the previously mentioned. The propagation of joy is what religion is all about. Yes, it completely and utterly fails in the majority of cases. And yet it's what it's about. Its failure is so deep because it is oriented entirely on that purpose, that function - joy for its own sake. Thence we also got pain for its own sake.

Yeah, it's fucked. Religion only makes sense as a celebration of the seasons.

View user profile
Sisyphus
Archer
Archer

PostSubject: Re: Religion    Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:14 pm

I really don't want to sound anti-religion. I am anti-religious establishment.

There are many people who need more in their life than their physical reality. Religion satisfies many of these needs.

And my biggest complain against established religion is how it controls the life of people for the religion's benefit.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Religion    

Back to top Go down

Religion
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Before The Light :: Tree :: Idealism-
Jump to: