Before The Light
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Mortal as I am, I know that I am born for a day. But when I follow at my pleasure the serried multitude of the stars in their circular course, my feet no longer touch the earth.'

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Narcissistic encirclement

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
individualized
Tower
Tower
individualized

: 6982

Narcissistic encirclement  Empty
PostSubject: Narcissistic encirclement    Narcissistic encirclement  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 14, 2017 11:18 am

Just want to coin a new term for the barrier between self and 'other'. By narcissistic I do not mean "bad", I mean self-refractive like two mirrors facing one another, or like a pond surrounded by the shoreline. What I like is how we can navigate inside and also at the edge, and even peek out of the edge and glimpse the total difference of what is like outside the encirclement.

I think children (very young, as in age 4 and below) don't have a narcissistic encirclement yet and so basically live in the outside world as a proxy of it. What madness they must experience! But also a kind of simple purity of action and willing, not confused by differences between inner and outer. But then "the self" forms, a personality can develop due to narcissistic encirclement, and also this thrusts upward being into new heights as dis/agreements are now needed to be negotiated rather than simply responded to.

A philosopher is someone whose narcissistic encirclement is very intense, the boundary is severe, but the 'pressure' of the inner space is so extreme that it forces expansions outside the encirclement boundary. When Nietzsche went mad he didn't simply collapse with that horse and then lose his mind and stop speaking, no-- he collapsed and then went for a few days in a sort of in between state, alternating lucidity and madness, drawn aloft from himself into the world and without recognizing the boundary between himself and others (for example, didn't understand how outside events were affecting him or focused on him), and then would switch to being trapped inside himself and unaware of the outside world and entirely passive in terms of it. I think the pressure of his narcissistic encirclement blew out the 'ring' boundary around himself, and he was forced to exist only by pure force of his own gravity of self, but without a boundary that isn't possible to do and still maintain what we call sanity. There's a nice epilogue in my book of his Letters that explains details from his last few days before being committed, and then a brief overview of some of his commitment.

Building up the inner pressure of our self requires a stronger boundary between oneself and the world. A philosopher is one who feels the heat and fire of the world so intensely that he is forced to augment his boundary, his narcissistic encirclement, in order to protect himself, and this reinforcement allows for much more inner self-pressure to develop. In fact the self-pressure must increase if the boundary is becoming harder and thicker, otherwise one feels that oneself is shrinking into oneself and liable to vanish.
Back to top Go down
individualized
Tower
Tower
individualized

: 6982

PostSubject: Re: Narcissistic encirclement    Narcissistic encirclement  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 14, 2017 1:29 pm

Of course this isn't entirely accurate, since even infants have a personality from day1.
Back to top Go down
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower
Fixed Cross

: 8696

PostSubject: Re: Narcissistic encirclement    Narcissistic encirclement  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 14, 2017 2:00 pm

Thats a very good concept though.

I think philosophy requires that one periodically or continuously break open the encirclement so as to let it fall into place at a further horizon - to include as much empirical reality as possible into the sphere without having it lose its narcissistic integrity - its symmetry to itself, which is the self-valuing principle I suppose as it sets itself against other instances of itself in difference and opposition. Heraclitus statement of the river is still a fixed identifier, the flux has become a fixed center to which man relates as changeling.
This the pain of philosophy and of honourably self-valuing I general, as it may be painful for a flower to open to the sun.
Back to top Go down
Sisyphus
Path
Path

: 1649

PostSubject: Re: Narcissistic encirclement    Narcissistic encirclement  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 15, 2017 6:55 am

My personal life has boundaries. I have established these boundaries. The universe has no boundaries. Now and then I get to leave my domain and enter the domain of the universe.

Why do we establish our boundaries? Survival.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Narcissistic encirclement    Narcissistic encirclement  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Narcissistic encirclement
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Before The Light :: Storm :: Psychology-
Jump to: