Before The Light
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Mortal as I am, I know that I am born for a day. But when I follow at my pleasure the serried multitude of the stars in their circular course, my feet no longer touch the earth.'

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Taoism

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower
Fixed Cross

: 8696

Taoism Empty
PostSubject: Taoism   Taoism Icon_minitimeTue Sep 12, 2017 10:11 pm

I did make a highly Taoist documentary back in the day.
And this kind of reveals my idea of Taoism that it is about a pretty slow and gentle process, not something you can condense without turning it into its antithesis. Anyway, this film is subtitled.

On this occasion, it was two days of shooting and a few weeks editing, finding the structure that allows for the story to be told most elegantly, I was introduced into a form of meditation far smoother, more Taoist, than I knew up to the point. And this is how I have always approach documentaries - I need to be able to learn from someone. I would film Picasso, and Id film Trump, just as I wanted very badly to film this man, Johannes van de Weert.

Its my opinion that value is definitely not reduced if it is exposed at length. Just like I don't think a flower needs to grow really fast to smell good.
Back to top Go down
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower
Fixed Cross

Taoism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taoism   Taoism Icon_minitimeTue Sep 12, 2017 10:42 pm

This is an example of an exemplary life. Thats when I make a film about a person, when I feel he or she is truly archetypically exemplary as a psychology. For this, I have to already have seen something of someones personal life.

My films about People include one about Sauwelios which he has reasonably asked me to not post or emphasize as it is shot in the most vulnerable of times in his life, the beginning of this century... its not on one of my main accounts. But its out there.....

Then, I did the film my Turkish friend after the filmmaker Theo Van Gogh was murdered for religious reasons.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by Fixed Cross on Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower
Fixed Cross

Taoism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taoism   Taoism Icon_minitimeTue Sep 12, 2017 10:46 pm

my friend Ayberk comported himself with nobility, which was hard then as a muslim - he did not betray or apologize, he just went with me into the fire to get the got coals out.

Then I made this...

Which clearly is very emotive and personal.

Then, this, which is very clinical but no less personal

And after that, I fell into VO and then the first filming I did was with Pezer. Which is absolute mayhem of material I can not yet make sense out of at all.

All this to illustrate - I don't make films very often, and when I do they are always about my friends, or family .

So Ill have to invite Peterson for a drink to begin with. Cant guarantee there is going to be love, and film really needs a lot of that to be alchemic.
Back to top Go down
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower
Fixed Cross

Taoism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taoism   Taoism Icon_minitimeTue Sep 12, 2017 10:51 pm

Goproing JPs lectures, C?

You are a great visual artist, musician, storyteller... I refuse to believe I am the only one who can do this, film is the philosophical art par excellence - as it is the most comprehensive and thus risky one.

This is why everyones first film will in some way be violent.
Wheres your will to violence, theres your will to film. The Godfather, Apocalypse Now, The Terminator, Gone With The Wind, Reservoir Dogs Pulp Fiction, Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back, The Good, Sergio Leone's films were all his first films except Once Upon A Time In The West, which was like his last film and Once Upon A Time in America, which - well, is weird, so weird that Il leave it at that.

I don't want to be violent. I want to be patient. That is my violence to myself, as I have learned it in the West.
Germany is Rome. Its really the most Roman remainder of that early nation of our people. I have seen small violences not even occur. Ive seen the compliance. I know the war history. Where you have the Civil War, we have so many humiliations next to our one founding victory. And yet here we are... and yet here is Germany, of which can be said much the same but also something else, namely that it just so happens to be able to value the European continent in its own terms without being countered in any efficient way. It is just the most efficient way of doing what Europeans do. Which is being cold hearted bastards with a soul of gold.

Back to top Go down
Sisyphus
Path
Path

: 1649

Taoism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taoism   Taoism Icon_minitimeWed Sep 13, 2017 7:04 am

Fixed Cross wrote:
And this kind of reveals my idea of Taoism that it is about a pretty slow and gentle process, not something you can condense without turning it into its antithesis. Anyway, this film is subtitled.

On this occasion, it was two days of shooting and a few weeks editing, finding the structure that allows for the story to be told most elegantly, I was introduced into a form of meditation far smoother, more Taoist, than I knew up to the point. And this is how I have always approach documentaries - I need to be able to learn from someone. I would film Picasso, and Id film Trump, just as I wanted very badly to film this man, Johannes van de Weert.

Its my opinion that value is definitely not reduced if it is exposed at length. Just like I don't think a flower needs to grow really fast to smell good.

Yes, those were very Taoist. He mentioned Zen. Zen: Japanese culture with Buddhism and Taoism added for a philosophy compatible with Japanese thought. There is also a bit of Hindu influence in there too.

Detaching one's self from the outcome is very important with Chuang Tzu. Just as with Johannes.
Back to top Go down
Sisyphus
Path
Path

Taoism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taoism   Taoism Icon_minitimeWed Sep 13, 2017 7:26 am

Violence is something we must disattach ourself from whenever we must engage in the acts.

To do what needs be done; nothing more, nothing less.
Back to top Go down
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower
Fixed Cross

Taoism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taoism   Taoism Icon_minitimeThu Sep 14, 2017 9:18 am

Sisyphus wrote:
Fixed Cross wrote:

Yes, those were very Taoist.  He mentioned Zen.  Zen: Japanese culture with Buddhism and Taoism added for a philosophy compatible with Japanese thought.  There is also a bit of Hindu influence in there too.

Detaching one's self from the outcome is very important with Chuang Tzu.  Just as with Johannes.

You have a deep understanding then of what Johannes does.
Back to top Go down
Sisyphus
Path
Path

Taoism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taoism   Taoism Icon_minitimeThu Sep 14, 2017 6:00 pm

Fixed Cross wrote:

You have a deep understanding then of what Johannes does.

Yes, I think I would accept that assertion. His work (art) is Zen though, not Taoist.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I hope this link works. The picture is Taoist Landscape painting.
Back to top Go down
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower
Fixed Cross

Taoism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taoism   Taoism Icon_minitimeThu Sep 14, 2017 6:49 pm

Forgive me, but

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

thats too beautiful.

Could you say something about the difference in attitudes, outlooks, walks and ways of life between a Taoist and a Zen... individual?
I could speculate, but I am closer to Zen, but with an extension into existentialist western philosophy which is most certainly not Taoist yet. There is no possible path yet. That is the thing, Zen is the point, Tao is the path... Zen the circle, Tao the wandering line. Maybe. See, I did speculate.
Back to top Go down
Sisyphus
Path
Path

Taoism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taoism   Taoism Icon_minitimeFri Sep 15, 2017 7:37 am

Thanks. I'm glad you appreciated the picture.

From my perspective, one of the most important aspects of Taoist Landscape painting is that Earth is always the center theme. Man is present but minimalized. Therefore, for me, Nature and her Ways, or, the Way of Tao, is what is to be considered most highly as opposed to how man can manipulate nature.

You have requested of me a consideration that I am incapable of dealing with. I do not know enough about Zen to be able to make a fair comparison between Zen and Taoism.

Yes, I understand that you are rooted in Western Philosophy. I wouldn't have put you into the basket of Existentialists though. Neither Nietzsche or Camus fit into that basket.

I would likely associate Zen more with Confucius than I would with Lao Tzu or Chuang Tzu but this is because of my lack of knowledge of Zen. This is because Buddhism, Confucianism, and Western Philosophy concentrate on changing the nature of man whereas this is given little attention in Taoism. In fact, Chuang Tzu argues very strongly against attempting to change the true nature of man.

But I will entertain such a discussion if you present to me some root Zen concepts. This would allow me to make a comparison.

I have tried to inspire one of the Taoist forum members to continue to post Taoist Landscape paintings in his thread. We'll see how that goes. I know that I will have to get directly involved in order to continue to inspire him to do more.

Back to top Go down
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower
Fixed Cross

Taoism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taoism   Taoism Icon_minitimeFri Sep 15, 2017 9:57 am

Wonderful, yes the picture directly brings across the idea of Earth. It was the first and only thought I had staring at it.
I sent it to Pezer, whose philosophy revolve around what he calls "the earth molecule".

The difference with Zen may be that Zen is not really saying this or that about nature and man - one can be quite Zen in a city apartment.  Yet, a Zen-walker and a Tao-walker would share very good walks.
Back to top Go down
Sisyphus
Path
Path

Taoism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taoism   Taoism Icon_minitimeFri Sep 15, 2017 5:54 pm

Fixed Cross wrote:
Wonderful, yes the picture directly brings across the idea of Earth. It was the first and only thought I had staring at it.
I sent it to Pezer, whose philosophy revolve around what he calls "the earth molecule".

The difference with Zen may be that Zen is not really saying this or that about nature and man - one can be quite Zen in a city apartment.  Yet, a Zen-walker and a Tao-walker would share very good walks.

Great. Nothing wrong with sharing.

Perhaps this could be one of the differences between the two philosophies. Lao Tzu made some pretty strong statements. He had a tendency toward anarchy but just couldn't go there.

So am I to understand that Zen in more concerned with man, his self-realization, and his interactions with other humans?

Back to top Go down
individualized
Tower
Tower
individualized

: 6982

Taoism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taoism   Taoism Icon_minitimeFri Sep 15, 2017 6:38 pm

The one thing I can't stand about Taoism and Zen is the platitudes.

Yeah, I went there. Deal with it.
Back to top Go down
Sisyphus
Path
Path

Taoism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taoism   Taoism Icon_minitimeSat Sep 16, 2017 5:54 am

Thrasymachus wrote:
The one thing I can't stand about Taoism and Zen is the platitudes.

Yeah, I went there. Deal with it.

So you think that repetition is not a good teacher? I don't think so.

Many time people do not understand what was said even though they pretend they do. To say the same thing over and over again using different words gives the listener (reader) a better chance of understanding the concept.

Loa Tzu actually spoke to this

Tao Te Ching, Robert Henricks' translation, Chapter 41

1. When the highest type of men hear the Way, with diligence they’re able to practice it;
2. When the average men hear the Way, some things they retain and others they lose;
3. When the lowest type of men hear the Way, they laugh out loud at it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Taoism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taoism   Taoism Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Taoism
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Before The Light :: Sap :: Interpretation-
Jump to: