'Mortal as I am, I know that I am born for a day. But when I follow at my pleasure the serried multitude of the stars in their circular course, my feet no longer touch the earth.'

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog in

Share | 

What can we know from scratch?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower

PostSubject: What can we know from scratch?   Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:49 pm

Assumed "We", "know" "from" "void"
"what?" is not necessarily the question.

View user profile
Abstract
Oracle
Oracle

PostSubject: Re: What can we know from scratch?   Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:41 pm

Fixed Cross wrote:

Perhaps "why not?" is the question? Very Happy

"I have gained this by philosophy: that I do without being commanded what others do only from fear of the law." -Aristotle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Arcturus Descending
arrow
arrow

PostSubject: Re: What can we know from scratch?   Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:01 am

Fixed Cross wrote:
So, what can we know from 'scratch' assuming we know from 'void'?
Is this the way your question would run?
Are you asking in terms of a tabula rasa and an empty space or emptiness?

Philosophy is the childhood of the intellect, and a culture that tries to skip it will never grow up."

"If I thought that everything I did was determined by my circumstancse and my psychological condition, I would feel trapped."

Thomas Nagel
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thrasymachus
Tower
Tower

PostSubject: Re: What can we know from scratch?   Fri May 25, 2012 10:32 am

Fixed Cross wrote:

"From scratch" we would probably only have the briefest self-sense of the knowledge's own faculties and methods of knowing; these methods interacting with "nothing" or next to nothing would revert to mere proprioceptive self-registry.

Then again this might be "intuition".

And absent subjects into which methods of knowledge might flex and practice, these methods would not really have any knowledge of themselves, or anything else, even void, until they had build up a sufficient knowledge-base, by trial and error, against which the possibility of void, and consequently also of direct self-expression and encounter could be set, or at least inferenced.

So maybe:

1. total ignorance, blindness, absence
2. barest self-registry as self-sense, groping, feeling
3. "light", colorless, undifferentiated
4. colorization of light, subtlization and differentiation based on crude formulae of division
5. increasing subtlization, sufficient substantial juxtaposition and capacity to infer quality from the mere quantity of the self-sense as proprioceptive self-registry
6. increasing knowledge and increasing self-encounter... eventually leading to equation of the one with the other

"We must, now armed with such a language, realize the “transcendental unity of ideas,” through a new morality that aims, not to hypostasize experience and grasp in positive knowledge a series of particular virtues and vices, but rather to fully explicate this continuity; where philosophy exists to represent this transcendental order, morality most exist to mediate the two spheres, the spheres of experience and ideality." --Parodites

"Between this sky and the faces turned toward it there is nothing on which to hang a mythology, a literature, an ethic, or a religion—only stones, flesh, stars, and those truths the hand can touch." --Camus

"It is a tedious thing to be always beginning life; they live badly who always begin to live." --Seneca

"I kick ass, all these other humans suck balls." --Inmendham
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What can we know from scratch?   

Back to top Go down

What can we know from scratch?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Before The Light :: Seeds :: Earth-
Jump to: