Before The Light
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Mortal as I am, I know that I am born for a day. But when I follow at my pleasure the serried multitude of the stars in their circular course, my feet no longer touch the earth.'

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Banality of Evil

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Pezer
builder
builder

: 2592

The Banality of Evil Empty
PostSubject: The Banality of Evil   The Banality of Evil Icon_minitimeSun Jul 21, 2013 12:35 am

Evil is only banal once it is historical, once the excitement of the inventiveness, the fresh ingenuity that is the betrayal of evil, is dead.
Back to top Go down
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower
Fixed Cross

: 8696

PostSubject: Re: The Banality of Evil   The Banality of Evil Icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2013 10:24 am

I disagree. Have you seen Polanski's "The Pianist"?

The scene were the old man in the wheelchair is tossed out of the window -- that is the banality of evil in one brilliant harrowing image.
Banality implies obscene carelessness, misplaced indifference. Evil is just that.

As far as I'm concerned, Hitler was never the center of nazi-evil - the evil was manifested by the sausage slobbering, beer gulping subcommanders, whose only quality was being banal enough to go through with the filthy details of industrial war.

If there hadn't been so many blubbering miscreants, Hitler could never have accomplished anything of the sort.
Back to top Go down
individualized
Tower
Tower
individualized

: 6982

PostSubject: Re: The Banality of Evil   The Banality of Evil Icon_minitimeWed Jul 24, 2013 11:51 am

Yes, I think you both are quite right here. Let us learn to look upon 'evil' with a more careful eye even than Nietzsche's.

In this sense the banality of modernity and of modern philosophy may serve us quite well.
Back to top Go down
Pezer
builder
builder

: 2592

PostSubject: Re: The Banality of Evil   The Banality of Evil Icon_minitimeWed Jul 24, 2013 4:37 pm

It seems to me, though I can't remember the scene, that a soldier is always expected to be capable of that kind of evil, which means it is already historical when it does happen.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Banality of Evil   The Banality of Evil Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Banality of Evil
Page 1 of 1