'Mortal as I am, I know that I am born for a day. But when I follow at my pleasure the serried multitude of the stars in their circular course, my feet no longer touch the earth.'

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog in

Share | 

Architecture for the Hills

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Pezer
builder
builder

PostSubject: Architecture for the Hills   Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:48 pm

Here in the third world, there is a recurring case of people building horribly designed shantytowns on hills. In fact, most of any given third world city's population will live in a shanty. In Caracas and many other places, those shanties are usually on hills.

They look like this:

What could be a cost effective alternative to this? Could re-enforced concrete be acquired at anywhere near the cost of bricks and whatever materials it takes to stick them together? Design plumbing, electricity and such from the ground up specifically for low income hill abodes? With maybe an artistic touch?

It would have to be something that can work with a few units and grow exponentially, as it would have to be an extremely gradual process.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower

PostSubject: Re: Architecture for the Hills   Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:21 am

That looks quite nice and infinitely preferable to the modern north-European version of lower class housing.
In Amsterdam, that looks like this:

View user profile
Pezer
builder
builder

PostSubject: Re: Architecture for the Hills   Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:25 pm

We definitely agree there.

My question is not how to catch up to the best, but how to make the best better.

It's funny that I was actually thinking about this the other day. Venezuelans make buildings out of the will to make buildings, while Europeans and North Americans make buildings out of the will to make money.

One is cost effective with a wide profit margin, the other is human.

Last edited by Pezer on Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pezer
builder
builder

PostSubject: Re: Architecture for the Hills   Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:26 pm

The image I posted just to give an architectural impression of the kind of place I am describing. It had to show both the whole hill, the outer facade, the valley bellow and, most of all, the streets between the inner facades.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Architecture for the Hills   

Back to top Go down

Architecture for the Hills
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Before The Light :: Tree :: Lodge-
Jump to: