'Mortal as I am, I know that I am born for a day. But when I follow at my pleasure the serried multitude of the stars in their circular course, my feet no longer touch the earth.'

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog in

Share | 

"Magic"

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Thrasymachus
Tower
Tower

PostSubject: "Magic"   Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:03 pm

Magic is knowing and affecting what people focus on.

"Do you hold out hope, then?" ... "I hold out dignity." ... "She will need opiates before long, for the pain. She will cease being who she is." ... "Then I will love who she becomes."  --Penny Dreadful

#Odinwar
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Arcturus Descending
arrow
arrow

PostSubject: Re: "Magic"   Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:34 pm

Capable wrote:
Magic is knowing and affecting what people focus on.
Why apply a supernatural force or meaning to this?
People capable of knowing and affecting what people focus on are simply people who pay attention, who are interested in human nature, who study human nature. They are generally people who know their selves pretty well so they have the ability to know others, what makes them "tick", what drives them. They watch and listen.

There is nothing magical about using that inner intelligence and power to affect others and their actions...although for those without this talent or gift, it might appear to be magical. Anything misunderstood might seem to be magical.

Of course, there are also times when coming to understand a thing, lends magic to it although this is derived from the brain's inner theatre.

Your signature reminds me of Plato's Cave.

Philosophy is the childhood of the intellect, and a culture that tries to skip it will never grow up."

"If I thought that everything I did was determined by my circumstancse and my psychological condition, I would feel trapped."

Thomas Nagel
Back to top Go down
View user profile
James S Saint
rational metaphysicist
rational metaphysicist

PostSubject: Re: "Magic"   Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:24 am

Magic is bringing Affect from unseen Potential.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Arcturus Descending
arrow
arrow

PostSubject: Re: "Magic"   Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:05 am

James S Saint wrote:
James, again, that can be seen as magic. But just because something appears to have been "unseen" or waiting in the wings as it were, doesn't mean that it is like a conjuring up of something. But I will admit that there are moments when SOMETHING might appear to be that way - but there is always an answer.

Alchemy was seen as magic too wasn't it until it was recognized as science. Everything is magic until understood - sometimes that's a pity though. "Unweaving the Rainbow" as it were.

Philosophy is the childhood of the intellect, and a culture that tries to skip it will never grow up."

"If I thought that everything I did was determined by my circumstancse and my psychological condition, I would feel trapped."

Thomas Nagel
Back to top Go down
View user profile
James S Saint
rational metaphysicist
rational metaphysicist

PostSubject: Re: "Magic"   Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:42 am

Arcturus Descending wrote:
James S Saint wrote:
James, again, that can be seen as magic. But just because something appears to have been "unseen" or waiting in the wings as it were, doesn't mean that it is like a conjuring up of something. But I will admit that there are moments when SOMETHING might appear to be that way - but there is always an answer.

Alchemy was seen as magic too wasn't it until it was recognized as science. Everything is magic until understood - sometimes that's a pity though. "Unweaving the Rainbow" as it were.
Emm.. isn't that what I said??

When the actual cause is not seen, presumed causes spring into mind from what IS seen. Thus forces are attributed to the wrong things by the temptation of the mind to presume and not look for the unseen. Sometimes that means giving credit where it wasn't due and sometimes it means not giving credit where it really was due (like to ME!! Wink )

You can cause that effect by subtly using otherwise unseen potential to bring about some affect. People then presume their brains out in order to assign it a cause, which might or might not be in your favor. In general, it isn't a wise way to work through life, but like always, if its entertaining, people always want more of it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower

PostSubject: Re: "Magic"   Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:38 am

In my experience, Magic means influencing events by applying laws that are only perceptible and knowable in a state of conscious willing; laws that are known only as an aspect of being as WtP/self-valuing, rather than of being as blocks of stuff, 'just-there-ness'.

(That aspect of being is post-magical, potential-wise; though it can be drawn back into the formative processes where valuing is at its most active; magic essentially describes the formative processes that ultimately result in the (division of) the tangible and the touching.)

Magic plays directly into the valuing nature of the world; i.e. the way that being is (being) divided, cleaved. It is indeed a manipulation of resistances; in this sense the OP makes a good point, but it addresses a specific, "social-economic" magic, the principles of which are however coherent with what magic is in general. (Drawing-out by the most subtle and pervasive means at man's disposal; the substance of his concentration, i.e. 'consistency-as-Man' (man as Mannaz (Norse) or Manas (Sanskrit); (higher) Mind.)

All entities are extending themselves beyond what they are, in order to be what they are - in this plasmic state between self-valuings, apparently, there has come into being a kind of responsive 'grid', which can be accessed, navigated, influenced. A grid which forms a kind of latent will-potential, very likely it is possible to understand this using Parodites' notion of excess.

I have no doubt that magic, as I try to describe it here, is enabled by the fact that beings produce and are embedded within such excess; all of this excess after all bears the mark(s) of beings, all of it is potentiated in this sense.

We could even imagine in this way how, applying the right formula of 'procession', mud could be turned into life.  The primordial mud, or primordial waters of the Presocratic views.

Of course life did in fact emerge from muddy waters - and this emerging is of course the same sort of impossible step from indiscernible existence to entity, which is, to be sure, "magical".

The usual triggers of magic are energy and symbols, these children of sentience, which apparently have the capacity to linger even between human minds.

There is nothing "supernatural" about such things; rather, the isolated atom theory is sub-natural; nature does not care at all about the fences we try to set up.

Being is valuing, and to understand Magic and the Occult it is useful to take this very literally; of course all of us have disbanded altogether the 19th century notions of perfectly isolated masses and a kind of lego-brick world; but I think none besides me have been working with VO's 'magical implications', which build a world where causation is not tied to linear progression of bouncing objects, but rather the immediate logically necessary consequence of value- and valency-correspondence.

To understand this we have to realize that self-valuing, the act of isolating fro the environment in order to remain existent, propagates its footprint through that environment. Magic is to control that footprint; to send out 'self-valuing reflections' in a controlled manner, so that inevitably, parts of the environment 'hook into ones will'.

Work in progress; this is not a segment of philosophy I particularly like to explicate, it is not exactly rewarding to reveal such thoughts in a world still ruled by the superstition of materialism, the premise that 'solid matter' exists and commands.

I actually prefer to let evolution run its course somewhat more before I reveal my thinking here - at the brink of revolution, the conservative forces are most concentrated. We live during the last stand of materialism.

Once the thinking man understands his thoughts as original substance, not 'mere by product of colliding atoms', the atom can be understood and also somewhat controlled.

Man is able to influence much more of his environment than he thinks, and as I have more than extensively experienced, this is very problematic to be aware of. It requires exceptional restraint to deal with magic in a healthy way; restraint and a bit of fortune.

But then, fortune, under magic, is quite responsive to being teased out of the blind mass of potential.

View user profile Online
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Magic"   

Back to top Go down

"Magic"
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Before The Light :: Tree :: Lodge-
Jump to: