'Mortal as I am, I know that I am born for a day. But when I follow at my pleasure the serried multitude of the stars in their circular course, my feet no longer touch the earth.'

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog in

Share | 

If I know your values I know you

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower

PostSubject: If I know your values I know you   Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:58 pm

and more specifically, what you will become.

Value ontology only describes. There is no morality implicit in it. It does suggest a morality to the reader, something that will help him "be" - persist and procreate, physically, intellectually, symbolically, or all three.

I call this "Self-valuing morality".

To become a self-valuing, you have to first drop your commitment to the idea that there are no values. Gods death did not kill all values. It liberated those who are able to cultivate value from the clutches of a certain value-structure.

God-slaves are still bound to the idea of absolute reality of a given value versus absolutely no value at all. In other words, they have no idea what values are, what valuing means in their existence.

Become awake and bite the head of that snake. Existence does not 'just exist'. You are doing it, and it is being done to you.

View user profile
Arcturus Descending
arrow
arrow

PostSubject: Re: If I know your values I know you   Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:58 am

Fixed Cross

Quote :
and more specifically, what you will become.

That's not necessarily true. What if a person's value[s] change? They do you know. There are many things/people who influence us for better or for worse. It happens. I think that perhaps all one can know or discern is the potential that someone is capable of in the present moment. Existence flows, it isn't stagnant though it can lead to stagnation. But it isn't a rock though a rock also flows in a sense. lol

Maybe the most we can say is that we think, appear to, know the person in that moment and considering who we are as human beings, how complicated and muddled we are, what can we possibly know of another? There is so very much to know. I have my own values and I sometimes surprise myself at how little I am capable of knowing myself in a given instant. We do not always live up to our value system and that's probably a good thing because it allows us to know ourselves more, to stop fooling ourselves about who we think we are. We only just touch the surface of who we are. Sometimes we learn more in hindsight than we do in foresignt.

Quote :
Value ontology only describes. There is no morality implicit in it. It does suggest a morality to the reader, something that will help him "be" - persist and procreate, physically, intellectually, symbolically, or all three.

I call this "Self-valuing morality".
Maybe I'm not understanding you here, but i kind of think and intuit that there is a kind of morality at least, at least a nuance of it,  in human value. Isn't value, how we perceive and treat ourselves, value ourselves and others, based on a sense of some morality though not necessarily, on say The Ten Commandments?

Quote :
To become a self-valuing, you have to first drop your commitment to the idea that there are no values.
I may be wrong here but does one actually have to see value in order to become self- valuing or to value others? Maybe that's a bit off the wall lol - maybe - but doesn't value of one's self come more from self-awareness, knowledge, conscience, consciousness, how we relate to the world around us, including the physical world and people. The more we see of the structure which we are, the more we come to value ourselves. But perhaps that's ego. But I suppose there is a boundary line there.

Quote :
Gods death did not kill all values. It liberated those who are able to cultivate value from the clutches of a certain value-structure.
It certainly didn't. If human value is dependent on a god, it can come and go at any time - it has often.

Quote :
God-slaves are still bound to the idea of absolute reality of a given value versus absolutely no value at all. In other words, they have no idea what values are, what valuing means in their existence.
B
So, values are kind of like the river which flows.
That's not necessarily true either. You can't condemn a human being simply because he/she does believe in god. It's an individual thing. There are some atheists and agnostics who might experience and intuit more value in humanity without a god and there are those christians or deists or theists who who are capable of doing the same with a god. Then there are those who see no value - appreciate no value those who could care less about creating value, forming and transforming it. We are individuals. We are slaves to many things and the god thing is just one of them. I think that any concept, or any value, is just as capable as destroying human value as it is in creating it, it just depends on whose hands it is in. If that made sense.

Quote :
Become awake and bite the head of that snake. Existence does not 'just exist'. You are doing it, and it is being done to you.
That's what life is all about. It's all about interconnectedness. And as for myself, I would not bite the head of that snake. Who knows? It's venom might be needed some day to heal.

Philosophy is the childhood of the intellect, and a culture that tries to skip it will never grow up."

"If I thought that everything I did was determined by my circumstancse and my psychological condition, I would feel trapped."

Thomas Nagel
Back to top Go down
View user profile

If I know your values I know you
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Before The Light :: Tree :: Lodge-
Jump to: