Before The Light
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Mortal as I am, I know that I am born for a day. But when I follow at my pleasure the serried multitude of the stars in their circular course, my feet no longer touch the earth.'

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Film

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 18  Next
AuthorMessage
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower
Fixed Cross

: 8696

Film - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Film   Film - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2015 10:03 pm

Back to top Go down
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower
Fixed Cross

Film - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Film   Film - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2015 10:28 pm

That's a beautiful interview.

I just realized watching this scene that to Tarantino, death is good. He seems to know it as the source of drama first, and not as significantly as the source of fear that it is to others. This scene is built up to glorify character by living up to death. It is all about character, the defiance of the father means nothing for the progress of the story. Death is the aegis of character.

Back to top Go down
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower
Fixed Cross

Film - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Film   Film - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2015 10:36 pm

I don't think I've called on any women in this thread, which is consistent with my views that film is more fit to masculine behavior. There are actresses I like in films, Marion Cotillard in Taxi is pleasing, and Meryl Streep is always good. But it's a different business, there is far less differentiation. It is like the woman in film is symbolic of a human being whereas the man is real. The cause of it is the externality of the action. Women in novels are more powerful influences on the mind.

It is no good to have women fighting battles, I think that is ridiculous unless it is a cat-fight, in which it is good, but you never see it. Women are misunderstood. Thee should be log shots of them brooding, and cynically smiling, and changing suddenly in a happy state. Maybe film isn't ready for this aspect. Men aren't usually very good at handling this sort of quality, the compromise to the impact of appearances, which would become more evident if the woman is shown in her many faceted emotions at any given time. Film needs linear emotions.

I like Strange Days, the emotions are all over the place, it almost is about emotion-as-such, experiences are being sold to insert into the brain but the type she chooses, death and rape, are maximally emotional. "I'm the magic man, the santaclause of the subconscious..."

The Ghastly absence of courage in Al Pacino's wife in the Godfather films is one of the absolute best displays of the immaterialness of woman in cinema. Cameron Diaz in the Mask, Marilyn Monroe and her skirt, Demi Moore versus Robert Redford, she is the object of the eye as well as the object of the protagonist - two perspectives fix her in a minimal dimensionality. "Girls", this also contains some good characters, especially of men. Very strange men with unpredictable behavior, non teleological. It's made by a girl who writes and directs and plays the main part in it, and revolves largely about her characters egocentrism and aspirations to write. There is some of that Coppola percentage that belongs to woman directors, I think they should make war movies. Warhospital movies - who could bear that? It is the absence of external battle in women's lives that creates this horror vacui in the medium of film. I should really do this justice. I like wild eyed women. Photography is more suited to them but let's see what we can see...

I am wrong, there are some good ones. But I think that's maybe only recently since the HBO series started showing up. Tony Soprano's mother, to begin with. I am literally at loss for words. And Carrie in Homeland, is excellent. 'Compelling', as a novel would say on the back. It does seem a recent ohenoenon. (awesome typoem) Series have been compared to novels. By myself sometimes even.
Back to top Go down
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower
Fixed Cross

Film - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Film   Film - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2015 5:39 pm

Field of dreams, a film Heidegger would have admired. It would have turned him over to the Americans, recognized their vision of Lebensraum.
"If you build it, he will come."

On another note,
"It's been said that nothing gives the fearful more courage, than another's fear."

this from the series about Pablo Escobar.

They have him smoking weed all the time. He had Vesta on Venus, would be doing all of it to finally get some relaxed pleasure out of all of it - in the end he was a master of illusion who created the coke-driven world we have today.

Venus and Neptune, charm and intoxication, working together with the deliberation of total war - very remarkable. Well, all 'evil climbers' have strong Venuses. Criminals especially need a good Venus to make people forget about the nastiness. Seducers, drugs and crime go together well because crimes thrives in confusion and paranoia.

The strongest female character is Pablo's wife, a servile and demanding girl, all the 'good women' are the shadows of their men. Is it always like this in life? Are women made to stand in the shadow cast by men? It seems that their freedom lies in witchcraft alone. A society without witchcraft pushes women to become slaves to their sexual merit, like it forces men to become so ruthless as to be stupid. In a sense, witchcraft is merely mans admission of his ineptness before fate, and the transformation of the idea of fate therein. He becomes modest and looks at the elements in his hands. "What have I here?" is the first rule of witchcraft. (All rules of conscience are questions, and once you enter the cauldron of there is nothing but conscience to guide you - it is in fact the only thing that can be gained from it in the end: the honing of consciousness by exposing it to the inner demon, the controller, the one beyond mercy.)

Buffy the Vampire Slayer then. And Twin Peaks. This is true - both series are dominated by women. In Twin Peaks it is Agent Cooper himself who lays his marbles down for Audrey, one of the six Queen like damsels, each of whom has a rather interesting fascination, and a life full of stories worth telling. How rare is this? Lynch understands then that the most fascinating thing about woman is her fascination. This is at last a worthy attribute to dominate the fair sex.

Fascination - it transcends the will to power, as a psychological concept. It is more than 'wanting to know so as to control' - although to argue that it isn't might be interesting enough.
Back to top Go down
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower
Fixed Cross

Film - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Film   Film - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2015 6:34 pm

Just came back from the theatre where I watched Straight outta Compton. It was better than the reviews said it would be. The reviewers probably never listened to this music, certainly not at the time it came out. But the film was very effective in bringing back those days. I was very moved in fact to see all these rappers shown in their beginnings. I noticed I love them more than I remembered.

This is a nice interview, more candid than the ones with Dre and Cube.

Now I've been watching Narcos, and I knew as soon as I saw what it was that it would be the new inspiration for the, what do you call them these days, anyway the thug-wannabe's. Sure enough last friday night I was in the city with my cousin, and some young Moroccan dude comes striding along the middle of the roa us with a faked  frenzied look, calling out in a dutch accent, "Pablo Escobar, motherfucker". He couldn't even curse in Spanish. But he had understood, by the series, that he was now to revere Escobar and think of him as the baddest-ass person on the planet. Which is not exactly incorrect, but my point was going to be that I find this infinitely sadder and more deluded than the hip hop cult. Escobar is up there with the politicians, he's not musical, just murderous and greedy. But then I never liked Scarface, either. It bores me, it's just violence and greed. Who gives a fuck? This movie, Straight outta Compton, made me realize what these people actually managed to do, and, what I didn't realize when I was 12 and listened to them first, how hard it is to do that! To come out on top of the world without violence or coercion from that position. I know everyone in that business has said this same thing, but it's actually true.

I wont say everyone should watch it, as I don't know how it is when you have no emotional bond with the people or music it's about, but I just want to do justice to this movie experience before I go on with the night and it fades. It has been a while since I watched a movie in the theatre. This is the first time in years that I actually enjoyed the experience, and went home inspired.

The strangest character in the whole episode is always Suge Knight. And I am starting to believe again that Tupac is not dead. Just for the hell of it.

"2pac leeft jonge. 2pac leeft." That used to go around as a greeting for years among some of my friends. No, that wasn't meant seriously, but it's a great phrase.
Back to top Go down
Pezer
builder
builder

: 2592

Film - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Film   Film - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2015 6:46 pm

I like Eazy E best from those guys.

Easily I approach
The microphone
'Cause I ain't no joke

Tell your mom to get off of my tip
I ain't got time to giver her my dick

He didn't give a fuck.

Don't quote me boy,
I ain't said shit!
Back to top Go down
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower
Fixed Cross

Film - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Film   Film - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2015 6:51 pm

Pezer wrote:
I like Eazy E best from those guys.

Easily I approach
The microphone
'Cause I ain't no joke

Tell your mom to get off of my tip
I ain't got time to giver her my dick

He didn't give a fuck.

Don't quote me boy,
I ain't said shit!

I only learned now in this movie that Ice Cube wrote those lyrics.
Back to top Go down
Pezer
builder
builder

Film - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Film   Film - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2015 7:02 pm

Not surprised. In many ways, Ice Cube was the purest. "Fuck the police!! Coming straight from the underground!!"

He still has Boyz n' the hood?

Cause the boys in the hood are always hard,
You come talkin that trash, we'll pull your car.
Knowing nothing in life but to be legit,
Don't quote me boy, I ain't said shit!

Magic. Rap is a good example of going from humble soul searching to highjacking the universe.

... Crack and weed,
The combination made my eyes bleed!

I had the opportunity to try this little cocktail. It really makes you feel that way.
Back to top Go down
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower
Fixed Cross

Film - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Film   Film - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2015 7:47 pm

Eazy was y favorite as well, it was his tape I had when I was 12, Eazy Duz it with Boyzn da Hood on it as well as the Nobody Move. He just has immense charisma. Boyz n Da Hood is apparently the trac where they pushed Eazy to rap. The scene plays out as follows: Dre has hired three sort of known rappers to rap this song written by Cube, but they don't understand the lyrics. (they don't now what a 6-4 is, for example - nor did I of course) They complain, Dre gets angry, everybody gets angry, they leave. Eazy, who is only manager then (maybe he was the one who paid for the rappers) is mocking Dre for his failure, whereupon he is challenged to take up the mic himself. He's no rapper, he says. It's a cool enough scene where he fucks up a few times and Dre laughs at him but tells him he can do it, and the rest is history.

The gentlest, nicest thing in the film I found when Snoop appears in the capacity of talking down on Suge Knight. Dre stops the impending carnage. I swear I could feel a Jesus entering. All that grace, that's a  master artist. But so is Dre. And, so I discovered now, also Ice Cube, who wrote all those lyrics! Just not Eazy, he was too human to be artist. All of these west coast rappers are Virgos and Libra stelliums, nothing in Leo, interestingly. For these artists coming from the human jungle (for which all of the civilized world envies them, it was the best experiment of culture so far, 'danger in the streets and danger in the heart' as Nietzsche prescribes the conditions for the cultivation of the higher man in his notes) it is all about the product, safe to say -  Tupac has a cluster Gemini, Mars in Aquarius, Uranus in Libra - lots of air and the most potently idealistic combination, 'the french aspect' Jupiter-Neptune, on the cusp of Sagittarius. But no Leo, not even an asteroid. But I've often notice that the hardest vocal artists have a lot of Virgo.  Nick Cave is almost pure Virgo, for example.

Keeping looking, odd. Biggie nor Jay-Z (who popped up when I googled Biggie) have anything in Leo either. I've never seen so many chart in a row without any planet in Leo. This is beginning to look like a pattern. What's up with that? I think this shows that it is a young, and relatively insecure art. That is is very synthetic is clear, that is what it is, true synthetic music, sampling and synthesizer sounds - product of Pluto in Virgo. Our generation has it in Libra. On a Plutonean level we are thinkers, balancers, beauty-creators, they were ... modest. They were doing the utmost to turn ugliness into awesomeness. And these men who now made this movie about themselves succeeded. I can't believe how uebermenschlich that is. They even made a good movie about this abssolute mayhem. Ice Cube is played by his own son. Eminem suddenly pales in comparison. H. Finally, I mean he was great but he can't carry the black renaissance. This movie puts it back in southern California in the end of the 80;s. which is so brutally awesome my heart stops so that I can zap back to it for a moment via a frame of the office scene in the first Robocop, before ED209 comes in.

Eminem has no leo either.
Mick Jagger has Sun, Jupiter, Pluto, Mercury, North Node and Part of Fortune in Leo.
But there are a lot of musicians who do not have Leo - Elvis being one of them - it's just this absence in hiphop that is noticeable. Beyonce has Venus in Leo, and she can rap, but if that was all she could do  wait - so rap is not Leo. That makes sense. It could be too obedient to the rules, the beat, the frame, the form, for the Leo to roam inside.

In general however it may be that making music isn't so much about personality as it is about craft, where performing can become Leo-esque, but only in excess.

For example, Jim Morrison has a lot of Leo, but John Lennon doesn't have any, besides the generational planet Pluto. Fitting with this the more egoic Paul McCartney has three planets in the sign.

But I still want to find an egoic rapper. Kanye?

Wow. Saturn, Vesta and on the last degree, Pallas.
That's nothing less than a formal statement of occupation.

Back to top Go down
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower
Fixed Cross

Film - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Film   Film - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2015 8:26 pm

What, oh no, that guy is going to grow up as and within sex itself.

I  mean oh no as in oh no it's not as bad as I feared it might be. He is like his dad Gemini with Sun Jupiter and Mars in Gemini. This if not contradicted could make him a significant military leader. Then he has a first house with Venus and black moon on Sirius (Isis) 13 Cancer, the clearly deliberately chosen Sun of the United States - Jesus, that kid is in trouble, but it could be the really good kind. Probably both. That's of course easy to predict here, but - it's remarkable how inevitably it shows up in the chart. Venus Lilith alone is crazy, a totally obsessive Venus. This in the first house, it defines the personality, the outlook. Then on Sirius, all the things this suggests, Roman scenes, in any case imaginable for the first son of Kanye West and Kim Kardashian. It is in any case a situation quite different from all other possible situations. I suppose this is a rising aristocracy. It's good to remember who started it all. But it's Cube. Bitch named Suzie. Submachine Uzi.
Back to top Go down
Pezer
builder
builder

Film - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Film   Film - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2015 8:47 pm

Try lil wayne. I know, but try it. I'm gonna go ahead and guess massive Gemini stuff. But might be some leo...

Dang... I think you might be right.

What do black leos do in art?

Back to top Go down
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower
Fixed Cross

Film - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Film   Film - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2015 8:52 pm

I sit back with this pack of zig zags and this bag of this weed that gets me the shit needed to - that's a different paradigm. Here, "in the comission, you ask for permission to hit em. You don't like me, hit em while wifey was with em. You hear of us, the murderous, most shady, been on thw low lately, the feds hate me, son of satan, they say my killings too blatant. You hesitatin, Im in yo mamma crib waiting. You fam destiny lies in my hand, gat lies in my waist, francis m to the izzabxhzj, phenomenal, gun rest under my vest by the abdominal, kick a few flows so I can pimp a few hos, rhyme a few bars so I can buy a few cars -

that final stanzas is maybe best lyric I ver heard. So simple, so clean.
Later he says "used to call me fatso, now you call me Castro."
It got a same reaction on a face as "My penis rises up in the morning lie a Phoenix", but I think it's perhaps the most well polished aphoristic line of triumph in hip hop history. Then he goes "Excellence is my presence, never tense, never hesitant, leave a nigger dent real quick real sick as I perform like Mike, Jackson Tyson Jordan any one pack gun, ridiculous, -"

After that, he was dead. But what an immortal.

These are our myths, as poor as that sounds to many. Who knows Homer also began as boasting thugs who got famous and made an artist city, and another city with harder thugs. I mean they could be pretty thug like, in Homer, always raiding these monsters parties and dirtying up the floor, and being downright violent. Also, they held bling in high regard. It is notable how much in Homer is dedicated to the beauteous metals of which the platters and beakers are made when the guest has arrived and the host does his duty. We're missing that now in hiphop, the sharing. That is, of course, the Leo aspect. And why Kanye took a good wifey on him, I hope they have many sons and in this case, daughters.
Back to top Go down
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower
Fixed Cross

Film - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Film   Film - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2015 8:59 pm

Black Leo's... Im guessing Louis Armstrong.

Yes,

Moon in 13 Aries, Uranus 13 Sagittarius, Sun 12 Leo, a perfect grand fire trine.
Back to top Go down
individualized
Tower
Tower
individualized

: 6982

Film - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Film   Film - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 10:33 am

I really like this movie,

Like with True Detective, make sure to watch it late at night, where you can get the full effect of the ambiance.

Speaking of True Detective, I just remembered a line from it, when Rust shows the tape to Marty and Marty asks him, "Did you watch the whole thing?" or something like that, he replies, "I had to. There might have been a clue in there." ...Is that line not a great description of the will of the philosopher?
Back to top Go down
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower
Fixed Cross

Film - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Film   Film - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 11:27 am

That looks good. And yes, that is of the philosophers will.
In the same vein, philosophy is also what can happen if one has seen too much.
Back to top Go down
individualized
Tower
Tower
individualized

: 6982

Film - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Film   Film - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 1:41 pm

Not sure if this will work where you are, but I found episode 1 English sub-titled on Youtube, of that anime I mentioned earlier,

The video quality isn't perfect, but at least it is ad-free.
Back to top Go down
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower
Fixed Cross

Film - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Film   Film - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2015 1:49 pm

Was ready to watch it, turns out they've taken it offline already.

Yesterday first new episode of Homeland, didn't disappoint, it opens with Carrie in Germany, very effective sequence of a German Catholic mass, which prevented me from eating - there is little so distasteful as such a mass, its rituals and elements an sounds (and especially its smells) are one by one disgusting, like a human body beginning to rot while it is still alive, and then licking and loving that rot and upholding it to the heavens as a kind of black, pestilent sun. But the point that scene made was functional, and the rest of the episode was nice crispy aggressive spy stuff, very enjoyable.
Back to top Go down
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower
Fixed Cross

Film - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Film   Film - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2015 10:30 pm

"Goddamn timetraveling robots covering up their tracks, I knew it."
Back to top Go down
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower
Fixed Cross

Film - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Film   Film - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2015 10:31 pm

God damned time-traveling robots covering up their tracks... I knew it!

Awesome.
Back to top Go down
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower
Fixed Cross

Film - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Film   Film - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2015 10:19 am

"In a perfect world, all movies would be directed by the Coen Brothers" - Empire
Back to top Go down
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower
Fixed Cross

Film - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Film   Film - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2015 9:06 pm

Love and Mercy , philosophical politics in its first protonic state was always the freedom of the artist.

Film - Page 4 ?url=http%3A%2F%2Fd1oi7t5trwfj5d.cloudfront.net%2Fbd%2Ff6%2F6579b54242d19115dd5e32e278dd%2Flove-mercy2

It also has the most unbelievably evil villain.
Back to top Go down
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower
Fixed Cross

Film - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Film   Film - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 22, 2015 2:32 pm

Homeland is evilly addictive. Claire Danes is a better actor than many of the males I mentioned combined. These things give an actor the chance to completely become that person, and in any cases this brings on heavy difficulties for the actor once the project no longer requires his or her services, James Gandolfini, but also the man who played Heisenberg, were suffered because of the strength of their on screen character.
Back to top Go down
Pezer
builder
builder

Film - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Film   Film - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2015 7:51 pm

He's doing it again.

Tarantino is getting out of his couch and he is making another picture.

He has done a lot with his movies, so I'll introduce it by his stages.

First he did real life,

Then he did comic (as in graphic novel) violence,

Then he did a one off about some sexy chicks with an attitude,

Then he did big historical movies, reinventing history like he reinvented real life,

Now. He's going back to the source.

A western.

Including a number and a description...

Movie making for the fun of movie making, no more burden of proof.

Hateful Eight

Yes
Back to top Go down
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower
Fixed Cross

Film - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Film   Film - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2015 8:48 pm

Tantalus plucks the grape.

Back to top Go down
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower
Fixed Cross

Film - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Film   Film - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2015 9:15 pm

"Who we are, is that not our greatest weapon in this war?"

- Tom Hanks in Bridge of Spies. Not one of Spielberg's worst, it has some of the boldness that comes with a matured innocence. This quote is pure Truth. With a capital T that means it is not an analytical or circumstantial, but an axiomatic, paradigmatic Value.  

Oh I love how he sets in the music for his minor climaxes. He is still the only one that does that this confidently, that much aware that the gravity of film is propelled by levity. It must truly be good to be that man. His heights are True, his strong badness is simply weaknesses, not intent, spirit. A flame-man, a phenomenon unto itself.

What's in a name? Ein-Stein, Spiel-Berg. Rephrase; What's in a German name?  "Dances on Nothingness" could be indian name, Einstein would be 'wild eyed baby'.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Film - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Film   Film - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Film
Page 4 of 18Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 18  Next