'Mortal as I am, I know that I am born for a day. But when I follow at my pleasure the serried multitude of the stars in their circular course, my feet no longer touch the earth.'

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog in

Share | 

Education

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Pezer
builder
builder

PostSubject: Education   Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:13 pm

I've been thinking a lot about education lately.

Nietzsche said that the role of formal education, and I'm thinking about elementary and highschool, preschool if such a thing should exist, is to learn how to read, how to write and (therefore) how to think. With a renewed perspective this makes powerful sense.

Children could be brought up to love chemistry this way, to be useful.

It would require somehow comandeering the institution. I think this could be one of the ways forward in a philosophical politics.

Thrasymachus
Tower
Tower

PostSubject: Re: Education   Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:10 pm

I agree, most of the things taught in school are useless and serve only to help develop something beyond and 'underneath' all that knowledge: the self, including an ability to think and to feel, form coherent judgments and self-judgments. At the very least this kind of secondary development is required to firstly become capable of even processing and understanding that more concrete subject-knowledge anyway, which is the logic of why most people remember absolutely nothing from their time in school. And since subjects in education are taught by people who don't know this and are only interested in their narrow field of study, you get a lot of ignorant zealots who prize all the wrong things and cut down students abilities and possibilities.

Reading and writing is closest to what it means to live, to 'be a self' in any meaningful sense of that. Of course I don't mean a cultivated facade and mastering some style for personal gain and vain reasons, so common in academia; this approach too ends up being coveted by naive students who absorb unquestioningly what their teachers give them. Who are taught mimicry over learning.

My experiences and observations teach me that by far the vast bulk of education at any age level these days is bullshit, and I wouldn't make it through one day of it now. Our over-rationalized, linear-technical and utilitarian society values the measurable result over the real substance, and will gladly take even the most obviously fake certainly over any possibility for a genuinely real uncertainty. People today are becoming robots.

As such, life still provides the greatest education of all. And we can at least study on our own, although no one will ever pay us to do that (poverty and wisdom usually go hand in hand, I've seen). Authentic experience is not what your school or your boss p(l)ays you for.

"Do you hold out hope, then?" ... "I hold out dignity." ... "She will need opiates before long, for the pain. She will cease being who she is." ... "Then I will love who she becomes."  --Penny Dreadful
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pezer
builder
builder

PostSubject: Re: Education   Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:51 pm

What's important is that we all were tought somehow how to read and write. Maybe just spontanious assossiation, probably a deep figure somewhere in the background or more. This means it can be done.

Said otherwise, the love of thinking, writing and reading, proves that it can be taught institutionally. The reason it doesn't is politics backed by the capitalist-communist system FC has described. Maybe education is a step too far in the formulating of a political theory, but I think it works well as a gravitational force for it, one of them at least.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Education   

Back to top Go down

Education
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Before The Light :: Tree :: The World-
Jump to: