'Mortal as I am, I know that I am born for a day. But when I follow at my pleasure the serried multitude of the stars in their circular course, my feet no longer touch the earth.'

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog in

Share | 

The Path Orientations of Religions and Poltical views.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Abstract
Oracle
Oracle

PostSubject: The Path Orientations of Religions and Poltical views.   Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:50 am

I was thinking that there can be Yin paths(not that yin or yang is necessarily one or the other) like Yin could be 'Moralistic' and yang be amoralistic... but I might think more politically; Yin as if left-wing, yang as in right-wing. then one might have the buddhistic view of the middle path; not either but inbetween yin and yang... And perhaps this is an aspect of Taoism, but what of what I will call "being Tao" not being either or, nor inbetween... but being all... both Yin and Yang and neither...both and all...

Thoughts?

"I have gained this by philosophy: that I do without being commanded what others do only from fear of the law." -Aristotle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thrasymachus
Tower
Tower

PostSubject: Re: The Path Orientations of Religions and Poltical views.   Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:50 pm

Thinking beyond appeal to religious/spiritualistic conceptions? Thinking "pure concepts" "in themselves" without these sort of religious/spiritualist metaphorical models as guides/"paths"?

Edit: the problem is in the reliance upon myth and symbolism to disclose truth. Truth can become disclosed in this manner, but only partially, and only while being skewed and colored based on the quality and substance of the generative mythos. This is sufficient for most people, for the religious, for the poet, even for the artist. But for the philosopher, this is inadequate. Truth must be sought and expressed as it is, in itself, and appeal to myth and symbolic conception can be applied usefully only when there is a clear utility in doing so, when there is a particular end which is gained by employing such conceptions in the name of truth. Because as we know, such conceptions speak truth only in the sense that they lie about truth, that they deceive.

In Birth of Tragedy Nietzsche makes a good case for the illusory, the fictive in this sense. The need for such mythos and stories, with respect to the dosclosure of truth/s. But that applied back in the days of the ancient Greeks, the pre- and very first philosophers. Today, with the entire cultural and historical lineage which we have the benefit of inheriting, such things become trivialities, or if not unnecessary strictly then at least merely supplementary.

Relying on myth, story, symbolic ideas to grasp truth breeds a certain sort of consciousness, what I would call the religious consciousness, which militates against the possibility of active, real thought and productivity, militates against the philosophic possibility.

"Do you hold out hope, then?" ... "I hold out dignity." ... "She will need opiates before long, for the pain. She will cease being who she is." ... "Then I will love who she becomes."  --Penny Dreadful

#Odinwar
Back to top Go down
View user profile

The Path Orientations of Religions and Poltical views.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Before The Light :: Tree :: Lodge-
Jump to: