'Mortal as I am, I know that I am born for a day. But when I follow at my pleasure the serried multitude of the stars in their circular course, my feet no longer touch the earth.'

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog in

Share | 

Capable and Health

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Parodites
Tower
Tower

PostSubject: Re: Capable and Health   Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:39 am

Pezer wrote:
To create is to refashion, with the insight that eternity is made up of it. Nay, that eternity itself places limits on it.

Yes, the creator brings up from his daemonic descent a new datum of the psyche to engrave upon the order of conscious dike and justice; he impresses in his ascent an image of eternity- the mortis imago or death-image as Ovid said, upon the world. Eternity limits it positively, but it is negatively limited by the world.

Thus what I have been getting at is not that knowledge and artistic creation are without merit, I wouldn't have spent my whole life devoted to them otherwise. But I am saying that they all constitute a mortis imago, an irony, a great perhaps, or as Fixed said a premonition- along with the pain and the joys associated with them, and that the world cannot be redeemed by art or philosophy alone.

In the myths of Greece, all heroes must either go into the underworld like Orpheus, making their katabasis, or go insane first- but the underworld and their madness- that is, our philosophy, are not what makes them a hero, but only a means to it.

Nisus ait, "Dine hunc ardorem mentibus addunt,
Euryale, an sua cuique deus fit dira cupido?"

Have the gods set this ruling passion in my heart,
or does each man's furious passion become his god?
- Virgil.

It is not opium which makes me work but its absence, and in order for me to feel its absence it must
from time to time be present.-- Antonin Artaud
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Parodites
Tower
Tower

PostSubject: Re: Capable and Health   Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:18 am

And it is for this reason that I defend the category of the transcendent and reject the pure immanence put forward latently by Nietzsche and worked out in this century. The positivity of negation- the logical form of Being in its self-negating and asymmetrical character- ie. Being is not a being or beings, A is not A, that a term in each conceptual opposition overruns the immanent plane of their differentiation into a higher conceptual sphere and order of differentiations, is the logical form of this transcendence.

Nisus ait, "Dine hunc ardorem mentibus addunt,
Euryale, an sua cuique deus fit dira cupido?"

Have the gods set this ruling passion in my heart,
or does each man's furious passion become his god?
- Virgil.

It is not opium which makes me work but its absence, and in order for me to feel its absence it must
from time to time be present.-- Antonin Artaud
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Pezer
builder
builder

PostSubject: Re: Capable and Health   Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:04 am

Nietzsche was a hard core transcendentalist. He simply alowed for one further than artistic and philosophical creation: or rather, he alowed them comunal consequence. Hah, yes, transcendentalism of the species!

A kind of A does not equal A with Marx's idea that philosophers should act on their philosophies. A return of the truly Heroic.

Thrasymachus
Tower
Tower

PostSubject: Re: Capable and Health   Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:02 am

Parodites wrote:
And it is for this reason that I defend the category of the transcendent and reject the pure immanence put forward latently by Nietzsche and worked out in this century. The positivity of negation- the logical form of Being in its self-negating and asymmetrical character- ie. Being is not a being or beings, A is not A, that a term in each conceptual opposition overruns the immanent plane of their differentiation into a higher conceptual sphere and order of differentiations, is the logical form of this transcendence.

The terms are not adequate to the fields in which they operate, there is excess and "spill over" everywhere, yes. Every term in the relation must bear an individual reality, even an in communicable one, and this must be what philosophical justice means: that alone which refuses to sacrifice in terms of the utilitarian gods. Let justice be done though the world perish. We know it is not possible to completely philosophize in this manner, but since no one else has tried it we might as well see how far it can go-- and reinvent the entirety of philosophy in the process.

I'm concerned also that this approach not ultimately become another means of enforcing a utilitarianism or a pragmatic compliance of "the easiest conceptual reality", this is another need for a transcendent morality to ground the true philosophical activity. Because truth itself is also a term that is inadequate to the relations toward which it bears itself; a kind of guidance is maybe needed which does not capitulate to a necessity of lying, not perhaps out of any purism but simply to hold open a deep structure against the impulse to collapse in upon itself.

But being satisfied with a partial result doesn't usually agree with the philosopher's will to greatness.

"Do you hold out hope, then?" ... "I hold out dignity." ... "She will need opiates before long, for the pain. She will cease being who she is." ... "Then I will love who she becomes."  --Penny Dreadful

#Odinwar
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Arcturus Descending
arrow
arrow

PostSubject: Re: Capable and Health   Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:44 am

Pezer,

Quote :
Finally joy is in knowledge, as you say, as opposed to imagination.

There can't be joy in both?
For the writer, the poet, the painter, anyone who is creative ~~ without the imagination, where would be the joy - or the rapturous spirit? Where would the creative spirit and his/her creative work be?
Without Michelangelo's imagination, perhaps today we would have no David.

That would also include the scientist, the philosopher, et cetera.

If we throw the baby out with the bathwater, we are throwing out our whole human history.

Philosophy is the childhood of the intellect, and a culture that tries to skip it will never grow up."

"If I thought that everything I did was determined by my circumstancse and my psychological condition, I would feel trapped."

Thomas Nagel
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Capable and Health   

Back to top Go down

Capable and Health
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Before The Light :: Tree :: Lodge-
Jump to: