Before The Light
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Mortal as I am, I know that I am born for a day. But when I follow at my pleasure the serried multitude of the stars in their circular course, my feet no longer touch the earth.'

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Nietzsche and Transhumanism

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
individualized
Tower
Tower
individualized

: 6982

Nietzsche and Transhumanism Empty
PostSubject: Nietzsche and Transhumanism   Nietzsche and Transhumanism Icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2016 9:20 pm

I want a more in depth analysis here. I am pulling this I wrote in the other topic, to start us off:

On what philosophical conceptual or meaningful basis does transhumanism pose its progression? Nietzsche's basis is quite clear: man is more ape even than ape, the philosopher is more human even than human. Nietzsche's humanity is a beautiful jewel that he polishes with all of his criticisms of humanity. Pessimism (e.g. Schopenhauer) is fully sublated in Nietzsche; this is why Nietzsche is such an attractive and good thinker.

So what is sublated in transhumanism? Not pessimism, but I would say the opposite: it is pessimism that is precisely not sublated in transhumanism and can never be (my core argument here is that transhumanism is precisely the need to never sublate pessimism, which of course places it directly at odds with Nietzsche's own project), so instead in transhumanism some kind of weird hybrids of positivism and empirical-religious optimism are "affirmed".
Back to top Go down
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower
Fixed Cross

: 8696

PostSubject: Re: Nietzsche and Transhumanism   Nietzsche and Transhumanism Icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2016 3:01 am

Yes that is well said. There is an aspect of the young transhumanists ideas that we can approach though - I had an interesting conversation (a very long one of which this was part) with Sauwelios about the possibility, theoretically, of removing the aging command from our genetics. As aging is not a passive process, but an actual 'order' given out by the genes to start destroying the body - in an evolutionary sense, likely developed to give offspring more space to live.

Which evidently is still of great use, not to say absolutely crucial to a bearable life on Earth - but... hey. Interesting anyway.
Back to top Go down
Sisyphus
Path
Path

: 1649

PostSubject: Re: Nietzsche and Transhumanism   Nietzsche and Transhumanism Icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2016 5:03 am

In my opinion Nietzsche's transhumanism is mental, not physical. Nietzsche was aware of the cycles of birth and death. He was not pointing toward immortality but rather toward the concept of one living one's life to the fullest. Therefore his objection of European Christianity of his day.

Religion and government are tools the wealthy and powerful use to control the people. Nietzsche thought that the people should control their own life.

That would require the individual to break free from the herd (or the flock). Stop being sheeple and become an over-man (over-sheeple).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nietzsche and Transhumanism   Nietzsche and Transhumanism Icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2016 6:50 am

Quote :
In my opinion Nietzsche's transhumanism is mental, not physical. Nietzsche was aware of the cycles of birth and death. He was not pointing toward immortality but rather toward the concept of one living one's life to the fullest

Sisyphus you are exactly who i was looking for, i will pm you.
Back to top Go down
individualized
Tower
Tower
individualized

PostSubject: Re: Nietzsche and Transhumanism   Nietzsche and Transhumanism Icon_minitimeWed Mar 15, 2017 9:15 am

Back to top Go down
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower
Fixed Cross

PostSubject: Re: Nietzsche and Transhumanism   Nietzsche and Transhumanism Icon_minitimeWed Mar 15, 2017 2:52 pm

Thrasymachus wrote:

This is great.
Back to top Go down
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower
Fixed Cross

PostSubject: Re: Nietzsche and Transhumanism   Nietzsche and Transhumanism Icon_minitimeWed Mar 15, 2017 2:56 pm

What a beautifully conscientious mind this guy has.
Back to top Go down
individualized
Tower
Tower
individualized

PostSubject: Re: Nietzsche and Transhumanism   Nietzsche and Transhumanism Icon_minitimeThu Mar 16, 2017 5:37 pm

Oh, fuck yeah.

^ Highlight.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nietzsche and Transhumanism   Nietzsche and Transhumanism Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Nietzsche and Transhumanism
Page 1 of 1