'Mortal as I am, I know that I am born for a day. But when I follow at my pleasure the serried multitude of the stars in their circular course, my feet no longer touch the earth.'

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog in

Share | 

Spacetravel

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower

PostSubject: Spacetravel   Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:56 pm

... and there it goes... into the firmament

This could be a pretty good metaphor for self-valuing. It's in that moment of closeness, too-closeness, that one shudders in a grasping - then the objective world is back, darker and vaster than ever.

View user profile
Thrasymachus
Tower
Tower

PostSubject: Re: Spacetravel   Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:25 pm

I still remember the exact moment of "leap of faith" when I first approached self-valuing. It required a non-derivative step, perhaps something anathema to most serious philosophers. I was lucky because I already had theorized the logic of such leaps in principle, thanks to help from Nietzschean thinking.

Character is what happens at the threshold.

"We must, now armed with such a language, realize the “transcendental unity of ideas,” through a new morality that aims, not to hypostasize experience and grasp in positive knowledge a series of particular virtues and vices, but rather to fully explicate this continuity; where philosophy exists to represent this transcendental order, morality most exist to mediate the two spheres, the spheres of experience and ideality." -Parodites

"Was it necessary for the sense of truth that Nietzsche described as developed by the Judeo-Christian tradition that then manifested itself in the scientific methodology to turn against the symbolic foundation of that structure and demolish it... Jung's answer was that the conflict between science and religion is a consequence of the immature state of both of those domains of thinking... it's just that we aren't good enough at being religious or at being scientific to see how they might be reconciled." -Jordan Peterson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thrasymachus
Tower
Tower

PostSubject: Re: Spacetravel   Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:28 pm

Space travel is the next step in philosophy forming a world for itself, which is what "philosophy" really always meant anyway.

The world is, if nothing else, an apology of philosophy. Humanity is vindicated. Always has been and always will be.

"We must, now armed with such a language, realize the “transcendental unity of ideas,” through a new morality that aims, not to hypostasize experience and grasp in positive knowledge a series of particular virtues and vices, but rather to fully explicate this continuity; where philosophy exists to represent this transcendental order, morality most exist to mediate the two spheres, the spheres of experience and ideality." -Parodites

"Was it necessary for the sense of truth that Nietzsche described as developed by the Judeo-Christian tradition that then manifested itself in the scientific methodology to turn against the symbolic foundation of that structure and demolish it... Jung's answer was that the conflict between science and religion is a consequence of the immature state of both of those domains of thinking... it's just that we aren't good enough at being religious or at being scientific to see how they might be reconciled." -Jordan Peterson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower

PostSubject: Re: Spacetravel   Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:02 am

Yes, character, that is precisely what happens.

Our common love of astrophysics and the outer reaches has been a deep, mostly unspoken layer underneath our collaboration - a shared taste, or a shared lack of fear -
and taste is surely the way in which nature overcome fear.

Or: fear rules in the absence of taste, where taste makes fear into an instrument of beauty.

View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spacetravel   

Back to top Go down

Spacetravel
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Before The Light :: Tree :: Science-
Jump to: