'Mortal as I am, I know that I am born for a day. But when I follow at my pleasure the serried multitude of the stars in their circular course, my feet no longer touch the earth.'

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog in

Share | 

Praxis

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Thrasymachus
Tower
Tower

PostSubject: Praxis    Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:09 pm

A very useful way of approaching a philosopher is to sample a passage or two of his in isolation from the rest of what he wrote, in order to ascertain a "genetic" level glance at deeper machinery in his thought/system by formulating a metaphor whereby the single passage or two forms an object sufficient to represent the entirety of the spaces occupied and filled out by that larger thought/system. The isolated passage acts as an image representing by a kind of self-metaphor of double and triple meanings the larger body of work and spirit of that philosopher.

Once this image is obtained we can then gradually work out from it in all directions, pushing further into the philosopher's ideas while using the original image-metaphor as a ground allowing more hierarchical classifications and meta-relations. A complex 3D object forms, as the understanding of this philosopher's contributions, and can even be set in relation to other similarly complex 3D objects of the works/contributions of other philosophers, and in the very same way and method as the object itself was formed by approaching the single philosopher through his representative passages.

"Do you hold out hope, then?" ... "I hold out dignity." ... "She will need opiates before long, for the pain. She will cease being who she is." ... "Then I will love who she becomes."  --Penny Dreadful
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sisyphus
Path
Path

PostSubject: Re: Praxis    Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:55 pm

I don't doubt that this could be a useful procedure. However, I have seen it used for destructive purposes where a couple statements were taken out of context with the intention of discrediting the author. I have seen it happen many times on Nietzsche and a few times o Chuang Tzu (Taoist philosopher).

Back to top Go down
View user profile

Praxis
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Before The Light :: Tree :: Ethics-
Jump to: