Before The Light
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Mortal as I am, I know that I am born for a day. But when I follow at my pleasure the serried multitude of the stars in their circular course, my feet no longer touch the earth.'

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

turns of phrase

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower
Fixed Cross

: 8696

turns of phrase Empty
PostSubject: turns of phrase   turns of phrase Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2017 8:43 pm

"We should not be afraid of movement or competence; it is required to make necessary turns."

- Runeclaim
Back to top Go down
Drops_Of_Jupiter
bowstring
bowstring

: 32

turns of phrase Empty
PostSubject: Re: turns of phrase   turns of phrase Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2017 9:34 pm

I dislike fear and do my best to throw it a side. However, fear is not something that is a should or should not. It is an emotion, a feeling. The Runeclaim quote says, "We should not be afraid." The quote would be better to have started with, "Don't be afraid.."

Please don't tell people how they "should" feel.
Back to top Go down
Sisyphus
Path
Path

: 1649

turns of phrase Empty
PostSubject: Re: turns of phrase   turns of phrase Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2017 7:25 am

Yeah, fear is a favorite concept of mine.

It is an instinct. It helps us while we are in our life learning phase. But at some point I think we should have acquired enough knowledge of life so that we can throw away most, if not all, of our fears. Understanding replaces most fears. Understanding inspires respect and this respect can replace fear.
Back to top Go down
Drops_Of_Jupiter
bowstring
bowstring

: 32

turns of phrase Empty
PostSubject: Re: turns of phrase   turns of phrase Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2017 9:03 am

Sisyphus wrote:

It is an instinct.  It helps us while we are in our life learning phase.  But at some point I think we should have acquired enough knowledge of life so that we can throw away most, if not all, of our fears.  Understanding replaces most fears.  Understanding inspires respect and this respect can replace fear.

Sadly, most of us find a comfort zone and never re-test the boundaries....

I think fear needs to be felt every now and again to ensure "we are being all we can be."
Back to top Go down
Sisyphus
Path
Path

turns of phrase Empty
PostSubject: Re: turns of phrase   turns of phrase Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2017 2:04 pm

Drops_Of_Jupiter wrote:

Sadly, most of us find a comfort zone and never re-test the boundaries....

I think fear needs to be felt every now and again to ensure "we are being all we can be."

True that. Now in old age I have my comfort zones. But I have said before, we each should test our capabilities and capacities now and then just to see if anything has changed.
Back to top Go down
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower
Fixed Cross

turns of phrase Empty
PostSubject: Re: turns of phrase   turns of phrase Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2017 2:53 pm

Sisyphus wrote:

It is an instinct.  It helps us while we are in our life learning phase.  But at some point I think we should have acquired enough knowledge of life so that we can throw away most, if not all, of our fears.  Understanding replaces most fears.  Understanding inspires respect and this respect can replace fear.

Fear is a hormonal means of greasing the organism to respond to certain situations naturally. In a society like ours it impedes more often than it serves. And yet to release all fears is irrational, as there are many unknown unknowns that we may have to be alert for when they arrive into the sphere of knowns.

Vigilance. That is the aspect of what once was fear in apes, that we men must maintain. But make no mistake, vigilance is a daughter of fear, and certainly no stranger.
Back to top Go down
Sisyphus
Path
Path

turns of phrase Empty
PostSubject: Re: turns of phrase   turns of phrase Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2017 7:18 am

[quote="Fixed Cross"]
Sisyphus wrote:

Fear is a hormonal means of greasing the organism to respond to certain situations naturally. In a society like ours it impedes more often than it serves. And yet to release all fears is irrational, as there are many unknown unknowns that we may have to be alert for when they arrive into the sphere of knowns.

Vigilance. That is the aspect of what once was fear in apes, that we men must maintain. But make no mistake, vigilance is a daughter of fear, and certainly no stranger.

No serious problem with your first paragraph. However, your "release all fears" is questionable. Are we releasing (ignoring) our fears or are we replacing our fears with knowledge, understanding and respect? I prefer the latter.

But I do agree, if we must remain vigilant there is obviously something we fear that we must remain vigilant for. But really, we don't need to fear the lion anymore. Not many of them roaming around free. But there are a lot of stupid people.
Back to top Go down
Thismare89

: 1

turns of phrase Empty
PostSubject: Re: turns of phrase   turns of phrase Icon_minitimeSun Mar 19, 2017 12:39 am

return man 3 hacked Fear can convert into power.

Last edited by Thismare89 on Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sisyphus
Path
Path

turns of phrase Empty
PostSubject: Re: turns of phrase   turns of phrase Icon_minitimeSun Mar 19, 2017 9:33 am

Thismare89 wrote:
Fear can convert into power.

But generally that power will be used irrationally.
Back to top Go down
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower
Fixed Cross

turns of phrase Empty
PostSubject: Re: turns of phrase   turns of phrase Icon_minitimeSun Mar 19, 2017 1:36 pm

Thismare89 wrote:
Fear can convert into power.

How?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

turns of phrase Empty
PostSubject: Re: turns of phrase   turns of phrase Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

turns of phrase
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Before The Light :: Storm :: Ethics-