Before The Light
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Mortal as I am, I know that I am born for a day. But when I follow at my pleasure the serried multitude of the stars in their circular course, my feet no longer touch the earth.'

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Completely random passage by Nietzsche

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
individualized
Tower
Tower
individualized

: 6982

Completely random passage by Nietzsche  Empty
PostSubject: Completely random passage by Nietzsche    Completely random passage by Nietzsche  Icon_minitimeTue Mar 14, 2017 8:47 am

I will open up a random book of Nietzsche's and quote a random passage.
Back to top Go down
individualized
Tower
Tower
individualized

PostSubject: Re: Completely random passage by Nietzsche    Completely random passage by Nietzsche  Icon_minitimeTue Mar 14, 2017 8:52 am

Book 4, The Gay Science, 321:

New Caution.-- Let us stop thinking so much about punishment, reproaching, and improving others! We rarely change an individual, and if we should succeed for once, something may have also been accomplished, unnoticed: we may have been changed by him. Let us rather see to it that our own influence on all that is yet to come balances and outweighs his influence. Let us not contend in a direct fight---and that is what all reproaching, punishing, and attempts to improve others amount to. Let us rather raise ourselves that much higher. Let us color our own example ever more brilliantly. Let our brilliance make them look dark. No, let us not become darker ourselves on their account, like all those who punish others and feel dissatisfied. Let us sooner step aside. Let us look away.
Back to top Go down
Sisyphus
Path
Path

: 1649

PostSubject: Re: Completely random passage by Nietzsche    Completely random passage by Nietzsche  Icon_minitimeTue Mar 14, 2017 9:27 am

Thrasymachus wrote:
I will open up a random book of Nietzsche's and quote a random passage.

Great idea! I will work with you in this thread.
Back to top Go down
Sisyphus
Path
Path

PostSubject: Re: Completely random passage by Nietzsche    Completely random passage by Nietzsche  Icon_minitimeTue Mar 14, 2017 9:40 am

Thrasymachus wrote:

New Caution.-- Let us stop thinking so much about punishment, reproaching, and improving others! We rarely change an individual, and if we should succeed for once, something may have also been accomplished, unnoticed: we may have been changed by him. Let us rather see to it that our own influence on all that is yet to come balances and outweighs his influence. Let us not contend in a direct fight---and that is what all reproaching, punishing, and attempts to improve others amount to. Let us rather raise ourselves that much higher. Let us color our own example ever more brilliantly. Let our brilliance make them look dark. No, let us not become darker ourselves on their account, like all those who punish others and feel dissatisfied. Let us sooner step aside. Let us look away.

Excellent start.

Beyond good and evil. Beyond praise and blame. Beyond reward and punishment. Teaching without words. Leading by example.

Yes, it is very difficult to change others. Others must first desire for change. Those desiring change should have a good example to consider.

And so true, we must never allow the negativity of others to take us down. Beware of staring into the abyss.

But beware of looking away. There are many back-stabbers out there who will always try to bring us down to their level. We must remain aware and allow our brilliance to make their darkness visible.

Back to top Go down
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower
Fixed Cross

: 8696

PostSubject: Re: Completely random passage by Nietzsche    Completely random passage by Nietzsche  Icon_minitimeTue Mar 14, 2017 11:30 am

Thrasymachus wrote:

Fortunate choice.
Couldn't be more appropriate.

Let's take this approach with regard to the slime that presumes to morally challenge our elected leader by expressing the core essence of their own ugliness - simply disregard their vanity about supposedly existing as humans. They are weeds, at best good for wiping ones ass.
Back to top Go down
individualized
Tower
Tower
individualized

PostSubject: Re: Completely random passage by Nietzsche    Completely random passage by Nietzsche  Icon_minitimeSat Mar 18, 2017 6:48 pm

Human, All Too Human, 41

Unalterable Character.—That character is unalterable is not, in the strict sense, true; rather is this favorite proposition valid only to the extent that during the brief life period of a man the potent new motives can not, usually, press down hard enough to obliterate the lines imprinted by ages. Could we conceive of a man eighty thousand years old, we should have in him an absolutely alterable character; so that the maturities of successive, varying individuals would develop in him. The shortness of human life leads to many erroneous assertions concerning the qualities of man.
Back to top Go down
Sisyphus
Path
Path

PostSubject: Re: Completely random passage by Nietzsche    Completely random passage by Nietzsche  Icon_minitimeSat Mar 18, 2017 7:38 pm

This is a tough one for me. I think that many of our character traits can be changed. It's just that most of us don't want to change.

How else can we become a superman if we can't change?
Back to top Go down
individualized
Tower
Tower
individualized

PostSubject: Re: Completely random passage by Nietzsche    Completely random passage by Nietzsche  Icon_minitimeMon Mar 27, 2017 1:43 am

All things considered, I could not have endured my youth without Wagner’s music. For I was condemned to Germans. If one wants to be free of an unbearable burden, one needs hashish. Well then, I needed Wagner. Wagner is the counter-poison to everything German par excellence — poison, I do not dispute it...From the moment there was a piano score of Tristan — my compliments, Herr von Below! — , I was Wagnerian. The earlier works of Wagner I deemed as beneath me — still too common, too “German”...But even to this day I search for a work of equally dangerous fascination, of equally sweet and shuddering infinity as Tristan is — I search in vain in all the arts. All the grotesqueries of Leonardo da Vinci lose their charm at the first note of Tristan. This work is absolutely Wagner’s non plus ultra; he recuperated from it with the Meistersinger and the Ring. To become healthier — that is a step backward for a nature like Wagner’s...I take it to be a piece of first-class luck to have lived at the right time and to have lived precisely among Germans, so as to be ripe for this work: my psychologist’s curiosity goes that far. The world is poor for one who has never been sick enough for this “voluptuousness of hell”: it is permissible, it is almost imperative to employ a mystic formula here. — I think I know better than anyone else the enormities Wagner was capable of, the fifty worlds of strange delights, for which no one outside of him had wings; and such as I am, strong enough to turn even the most questionable and dangerous things to my advantage and become stronger thereby, I call Wagner the great benefactor of my life. The manner in which we are related, that we have suffered more deeply, also from each other, than men of this century could possibly suffer, will bring our names together again and again eternally; and as surely as Wagner is merely a misunderstanding among the Germans, so surely I am and will always be. — Two thousand years of psychological and artistic discipline first, my dear Teutons!...But that is not easy to make up. —"

Nietzsche, Ecce Homo
Back to top Go down
Sisyphus
Path
Path

PostSubject: Re: Completely random passage by Nietzsche    Completely random passage by Nietzsche  Icon_minitimeMon Mar 27, 2017 9:49 am

But after Nietzsche had viewed deeper into the soul of Wagner, Nietzsche found it necessary to break away from Wagner.

In Taoism we have the concept of Tzujan. Basically, it is the concept of self-actualization. In our early years we are influenced by others but if we ever reach the state of self-actualization we normally must throw out most of what supported us during our younger years.
Back to top Go down
kami3
bowstring
bowstring

: 43

PostSubject: Re: Completely random passage by Nietzsche    Completely random passage by Nietzsche  Icon_minitimeWed Mar 29, 2017 2:10 pm

"I know my fate. There will come a day when my name will recall the memory of something frightful—a crisis the like of which has never been known on earth, the memory of the most profound clash of consciences and the passing of a sentence upon all that has before been believed in, demanded and sanctified. I am not a man, I am dynamite. And with it all there is nothing of the founder of a religion in me. Religions belong to the rabble; after coming into contact with religious people I always feel that I must wash my hands. I do not want "believers”, I think that I am too full of malice to believe even in myself; I never speak to masses. I have a terrible fear that one day I shall be considered "holy”. You will understand why I publish this book beforehand—it is to prevent people from wronging me. I refuse to be a saint; I would rather be a clown. Maybe I am a clown. I am nevertheless, or rather not nevertheless, the mouthpiece of truth; for nothing more false has ever existed than a saint. But my truth is terrible: for hitherto lies have been called truth. The Revaluation of all Values, this is my formula for mankind’s greatest step towards coming to its senses—a step which in me has become flesh and genius. My destiny ordained that I should be the first decent human being and that I should feel myself opposed to the falsehood of millennia. I was the first to discover the truth and for the simple reason that I was the first who became conscious, to sense the lie as a lie. My genius lies in my nostrils. I contradict as no one has contradicted before and yet I am the very opposite to a negative spirit. I am the herald of joy the like of which has never existed before; I have discovered tasks of such a height that has never been seen before my time. Mankind can only now begin to hope again, now that I have lived. Thus I am necessarily a man of Destiny. For when Truth battles against the lies of millennia there will be shock waves, earthquakes, the transposition of hills and valleys such as the world has never yet imagined even in its dreams. The concept "politics” then becomes entirely absorbed into the realm of spiritual warfare. All the mighty worlds of the ancient order of society are blown into space—for they are all based on lies: there will be wars the like of which have never been seen on earth before. Only after me will there be grand politics on earth. "

Nietzsche
Back to top Go down
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower
Fixed Cross

PostSubject: Re: Completely random passage by Nietzsche    Completely random passage by Nietzsche  Icon_minitimeWed Mar 29, 2017 4:47 pm

THE WILL TO POWER

675 (Nov. 1887-March 1888 )

[The value of devaluing. — What I demand is] 88 that one
should take the doer back into the deed after having conceptually
removed the doer and thus emptied the deed; that one should take
doing something, the “aim,” the “intention,” the “purpose,” back
into the deed after having artificially removed all this and thus
emptied the deed.

All “purposes,” “aims,” “meaning” are only modes of ex-
pression and metamorphoses of one will that is inherent in all
events: the will to power. To have purposes, aims, intentions,
willing in general, is the same thing as willing to be stronger,
willing to grow — and, in addition, willing the means to this.

The most universal and basic instinct in all doing and willing
has for precisely this reason remained the least known and most
hidden, because in praxi we always follow its commandments,
because we are this commandment —

All valuations are only consequences and narrow perspectives
in the service of this one will: valuation itself is only this will to
power.

A critique of being from the point of view of any one of these
values is something absurd and erroneous. Even supposing that a
process of decline begins in this way, this process still stands in
the service of this will.

To appraise being itself! But this appraisal itself is still this
being! — and if we say no, we still do what we are.
Back to top Go down
Sisyphus
Path
Path

PostSubject: Re: Completely random passage by Nietzsche    Completely random passage by Nietzsche  Icon_minitimeWed Mar 29, 2017 7:32 pm

@ Kami3,

Note that Nietzsche denied all religions. That suggests that he became an Atheist as a result of searching for the truth.

I think he over-played his effect on the world but he was on a roll when writing that so it all came to him naturally.

Back to top Go down
Sisyphus
Path
Path

PostSubject: Re: Completely random passage by Nietzsche    Completely random passage by Nietzsche  Icon_minitimeWed Mar 29, 2017 7:39 pm

@ Fixed Cross,

Here I see Nietzsche associating "will to power" to will, in general. Can I say, the power to will?

And true, without will, nothing would have been done.

So, in essence, Nietzsche's "will to power" can be misused Justas easily as it can be used properly. And I suppose this is where value become so important. Our values, after all, dictate how we will use our power to will.

Back to top Go down
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower
Fixed Cross

PostSubject: Re: Completely random passage by Nietzsche    Completely random passage by Nietzsche  Icon_minitimeWed Mar 29, 2017 8:09 pm

Rather, what Nietzsche says and what VO says in exstension, or further depth, is that our power determines our values. Power literally sets goals. We cant even conceive of a goal if we do not have the power to somewhat approach it.

Our quantum of Will Power, Power to Will, indeed, is what I call our self-valuing.
N explains here how our valuing equals our will to power, and our values are the mere result.

The ground, the root is our strength, and without this strength all the value we may chase in the world would turn hollow.
Back to top Go down
kami3
bowstring
bowstring

PostSubject: Re: Completely random passage by Nietzsche    Completely random passage by Nietzsche  Icon_minitimeWed Mar 29, 2017 8:26 pm

@Sisyphus

The way he denied religion as nothing to do with the way Richard Dawkins denied it for example.

The religious algorithms parasite atheists at multiple scales.

the concept of "glorification of weaknessess" ,"self sacrifice'' and other concept left the world of religion long time ago to infest everything and everyone.
We are talking about two millenia of human education, that doesn't go away just like that.

When he said : "Man shall be trained for war"

That doesnt mean "go learn kung fu" it mean we live in a world full of multidimensional type of danger sometime invisible or "unfeelable".

"There comes a time in a culture's history when it becomes so pathologically soft that it takes the side of its worst enemies and calls it - "Progress." Nietzsche

“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.” Nietzsche

This is how we trained the man of today, i know slave atheists and i know theological ubermensh = Pierre Theillard de Chardin.

About his effect on the world, Nietzsche was the number one philosopher of a nation for 40 years and now becoming the number one philosopher of the world without being fully understood....lol

The real effect of Nietzsche on humanity has yet to come, but...that just my opinion...
Back to top Go down
kami3
bowstring
bowstring

PostSubject: Re: Completely random passage by Nietzsche    Completely random passage by Nietzsche  Icon_minitimeWed Mar 29, 2017 8:37 pm

“Today as always, men fall into two groups: slaves and free men. Whoever does not have two-thirds of his day for himself, is a slave, whatever he may be: a statesman, a businessman, an official, or a scholar.”

― Friedrich Nietzsche

This quote should change the world right now but nope....
Back to top Go down
Sisyphus
Path
Path

PostSubject: Re: Completely random passage by Nietzsche    Completely random passage by Nietzsche  Icon_minitimeThu Mar 30, 2017 6:17 am

Fixed Cross wrote:
Rather, what Nietzsche says and what VO says in exstension, or further depth, is that our power determines our values. Power literally sets goals. We cant even conceive of a goal if we do not have the power to somewhat approach it.

Our quantum of Will Power, Power to Will, indeed, is what I call our self-valuing.
N explains here how our valuing equals our will to power, and our values are the mere result.

The ground, the root is our strength, and without this strength all the value we may chase in the world would turn hollow.

Nicely said. I suppose I try to avoid the term "will to power" because of how the Nazis misused it.

And I would agree, if we no little confidence in our abilities we will rarely set new values for our self. (Mostly out of fear of failure.)

I like your use of "self-valuing". I use the concept often. Most often when speaking of ego.

Back to top Go down
Sisyphus
Path
Path

PostSubject: Re: Completely random passage by Nietzsche    Completely random passage by Nietzsche  Icon_minitimeThu Mar 30, 2017 6:35 am

kami3 wrote:
@Sisyphus

The way he denied religion as nothing to do with the way Richard Dawkins denied it for example.

True. Nietzsche was not an angry Atheist. He simply found no reason to make religion a part of his personal life philosophy. I am not an angry Atheist. I simply find no logical evidence for believing in such matters.

The religious algorithms parasite atheists at multiple scales.

the concept of "glorification of weaknessess" ,"self sacrifice'' and other concept left the world of religion long time ago to infest everything and everyone.
We are talking about two millenia of human education, that doesn't go away just like that.

I have no desire to destroy religions. I do speak negatively of religious institutions. And I realize that there will likely always be religions of one form or another.

When he said : "Man shall be trained for war"

That doesnt mean "go learn kung fu" it mean we live in a world full of multidimensional type of danger sometime invisible or "unfeelable".

Agree. We must defend our values. This is a form of war.

"There comes a time in a culture's history when it becomes so pathologically soft that it takes the side of its worst enemies and calls it - "Progress." Nietzsche

We see that happening today in the USA. Sad.

“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.” Nietzsche

I have always loved this quote and have really always understood this very well. I have always been pretty much of a loner. Not the lone wolf but the cougar. I observe the herds and wonder who is leading who.

This is how we trained the man of today, i know slave atheists and i know theological ubermensh = Pierre Theillard de Chardin.

About his effect on the world, Nietzsche was the number one philosopher of a nation for 40 years and now becoming the number one philosopher of the world without being fully understood....lol

The real effect of Nietzsche on humanity has yet to come, but...that just my opinion...

Well, you now also know of an Atheistic Anarchist. I don't want religion or governments controlling my life.

As I have stated before, Nietzsche is the earth my philosophical roots are planted in. Of course, I hold Chuang Tzu of Taoism in very high regard as well.

And I agree, Nietzsche's philosophy has yet to have a fair hearing. But I'm not sure it ever will.

Back to top Go down
kami3
bowstring
bowstring

PostSubject: Re: Completely random passage by Nietzsche    Completely random passage by Nietzsche  Icon_minitimeThu Mar 30, 2017 7:24 am

Quote :
But I'm not sure it ever will.

This epoch dont respect true hierarchy, time will come for a smarter reorganisation.

Back to top Go down
kami3
bowstring
bowstring

PostSubject: Re: Completely random passage by Nietzsche    Completely random passage by Nietzsche  Icon_minitimeThu Mar 30, 2017 8:25 am

Quote :
We must defend our values.

No; we must put our own values to the test, we are our own first ennemy to conquer, then all inferior beings are "enemies" because in our growth,our self- development, they have a tremendous influence if we are not aware, that's why our first task is to find superior beings that give us the right tools, the right eyes.

Quote :
We see that happening today in the USA. Sad.

The herd is doing wrong from A to Z and both sides are the herd and in all countries, some countries doing fine but you can be a happy slave !

Quote :
who is leading who.

Today, It's the corporations, they bought all european politicians for example with twisted laws.Sad for us but great for them ! It's the law of the strongest.

Quote :
Nietzsche was not an angry Atheist

He was at war against everything "that has before been believed in, demanded and sanctified. he is not a man, he is dynamite."

But most of all, he is a liberator !
Back to top Go down
individualized
Tower
Tower
individualized

PostSubject: Re: Completely random passage by Nietzsche    Completely random passage by Nietzsche  Icon_minitimeThu Mar 30, 2017 8:59 am

Interpreting Nietzsche as naive "might makes right" (as "whoever wins in any conflict of any kind is necessarily right, because he won") is not only the stupidest way to interpret Nietzsche, it is also the death of the mind as such, the death of philosophy itself.
Back to top Go down
kami3
bowstring
bowstring

PostSubject: Re: Completely random passage by Nietzsche    Completely random passage by Nietzsche  Icon_minitimeThu Mar 30, 2017 9:12 am

Quote :
whoever wins in any conflict of any kind is necessarily right, because he won"

"The victor will never be asked if he told the truth" anonymous
Back to top Go down
kami3
bowstring
bowstring

PostSubject: Re: Completely random passage by Nietzsche    Completely random passage by Nietzsche  Icon_minitimeThu Mar 30, 2017 9:51 am

This is how its work

We do not understand the universe completly, so after the transvaluation of all values, the values become measurable by their strenght/power, by their ability to resist against other values.

The winning value posses supremacy until a new superior value come to take over.

There is no eternal fact as there are no absolute truth so we have to use "natural selection." dixit permanent conflict ! That's why "Man shall be trained for war".

Last edited by kami3 on Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sisyphus
Path
Path

PostSubject: Re: Completely random passage by Nietzsche    Completely random passage by Nietzsche  Icon_minitimeThu Mar 30, 2017 11:25 am

kami3 wrote:
Quote :
But I'm not sure it ever will.

This epoch dont respect true hierarchy, time will come for a smarter reorganisation.

Nice to see you are an optimist.
Back to top Go down
kami3
bowstring
bowstring

PostSubject: Re: Completely random passage by Nietzsche    Completely random passage by Nietzsche  Icon_minitimeThu Mar 30, 2017 11:29 am

Quote :

Nice to see you are an optimist.

Well we have to undergo the ultimate consequences of our actual system first....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Completely random passage by Nietzsche    Completely random passage by Nietzsche  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Completely random passage by Nietzsche
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next