Before The Light
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Mortal as I am, I know that I am born for a day. But when I follow at my pleasure the serried multitude of the stars in their circular course, my feet no longer touch the earth.'

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The end of thinking

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
individualized
Tower
Tower
individualized

: 6982

The end of thinking  Empty
PostSubject: The end of thinking    The end of thinking  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 21, 2017 4:05 am

Modern technology especially TV and the internet have caused a regression in thinking for most people. Smart phones made it worse. We enjoyed a brief window of time where more people were interested in thinking, maybe 10% or so of all people in the west, but that ended between the late 1990s and 2010. Thinking requires free time without distractions, and that isn't possible anymore since people are endlessly distracted by their technology.

So 10% has become 1%, probably less. Not only that but life has become such a burden of work and debt that people need the distractions even more now, and have even less free time. So basically no one thinks anymore, except us.

Oh well. RIP humanity.
Back to top Go down
Sisyphus
Path
Path

: 1649

PostSubject: Re: The end of thinking    The end of thinking  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 21, 2017 6:55 am

Well, I think I still think.

And apparently you had no one to cause you to think so you thought on your own. Self-inspired thought. You done good.

But yes, so many people believe they have so much to do that they just don't have time to be thinking. They let the Media do it for they. Sponges?

Would you believe it? I don't even own a cell phone.

But then, I don't, very often, sit around thinking about things I have no control over.

It's actually pretty nice living alone in my old age.

Back to top Go down
individualized
Tower
Tower
individualized

PostSubject: Re: The end of thinking    The end of thinking  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 21, 2017 4:20 pm

Right, age is only feared by those who have nothing more to do, to think, to become... imagine being a "finished" being at 19. Lol.
Back to top Go down
Sisyphus
Path
Path

PostSubject: Re: The end of thinking    The end of thinking  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 21, 2017 7:48 pm

Thrasymachus wrote:
Right, age is only feared by those who have nothing more to do, to think, to become... imagine being a "finished" being at 19. Lol.

That would be sad. At 19 I was on my way to Germany for my first tour of duty there. Just beginning a life of wonderment.

Nietzsche told us to live beyond good and evil. I suggest we can live beyond death. (The death of the fear of dying.)
Back to top Go down
individualized
Tower
Tower
individualized

PostSubject: Re: The end of thinking    The end of thinking  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 21, 2017 9:56 pm

Anyone who is afraid of dying is simply not really living. But I can understand sadness over dying, having to lose others we care about. Fear of pain is also rational or at least mostly unavoidable... but fear of dying, to me that makes no sense at all.
Back to top Go down
Sisyphus
Path
Path

PostSubject: Re: The end of thinking    The end of thinking  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 22, 2017 6:45 am

Thrasymachus wrote:
Anyone who is afraid of dying is simply not really living. But I can understand sadness over dying, having to lose others we care about. Fear of pain is also rational or at least mostly unavoidable... but fear of dying, to me that makes no sense at all.

Fears will always hold us back from doing what we naturally want to do in life. They are limiters we have allowed our fears to place upon us.

I can't say I have a fear of pain but I sure don't like pain. I prefer pleasure.

The pain of losing those we care about was spoken to very well by the Buddha. He spoke to the importance of not forming permanent attachments with others as well as to things. And in Daoism we speak of the constant changing of the Ten Thousand Things - the coming and going of material things, including people. Basically, the importance of acknowledging the natural processes of the universe.

Back to top Go down
individualized
Tower
Tower
individualized

PostSubject: Re: The end of thinking    The end of thinking  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 22, 2017 2:35 pm

I don't believe in artificial "detachment" from meaning.
Back to top Go down
Sisyphus
Path
Path

PostSubject: Re: The end of thinking    The end of thinking  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 22, 2017 3:24 pm

Thrasymachus wrote:
I don't believe in artificial "detachment" from meaning.

Great perspective. Chuang Tzu would have enjoyed hearing that, I think.

Back to top Go down
individualized
Tower
Tower
individualized

PostSubject: Re: The end of thinking    The end of thinking  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 27, 2017 1:30 pm

Not sure where to post this, so I will just post it here. Pretty funny.

Stranger: what do you think of Trumps transgender ban?
You: I am undecided so far. I can see how it makes sense, but I haven't studied the issue enough yet.
Stranger: its discriminatory
You: True, but everything is discriminatory, it is just a question of whether that is rational or not
Stranger: theres nothing wrong with trans people in the military, they are like you or i
You: I don't know that, because who knows if 'transgender' is really a mental health issue or not? It seems like it probably is. Mentally ill people are not allowed into the military. Also, Trump consulted with his top military people and I am sure they are aware of any issues or problems associated with transgenders in the military.
Stranger: who cares your gender! trans people are people too, you just hate them cause you dontknow them
You: Who cares about gender? Well these "trans" people sure seem to care about it, a lot more than the rest of us. Also there is no such thing as "transgender", there are only two genders and you cannot change them because this is your chromosomes. But you can definitely alter your gender expression.
Stranger: fuck you, bigot
You: Haha.
Back to top Go down
Sisyphus
Path
Path

PostSubject: Re: The end of thinking    The end of thinking  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 28, 2017 5:38 am

That conversation didn't go well, did it?

The military has been screwed up every since the draft was ended. That's the early 1970s.

They have had to constantly lower prerequisites in order to get the units' positions filled.

Won't be long they will be allowing chimps to enlist.
Back to top Go down
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower
Fixed Cross

: 8696

PostSubject: Re: The end of thinking    The end of thinking  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 28, 2017 9:46 am

Yes, chimps and droids, cybernetically enhanced chimps - with six genders, fifteen phalli, seventeen vaginal orifices and no ears or noses, to strategically upset the enemy into a bout of disgusted laughter to the end of having them all choke in their vomit...

it is highly advanced strategy man.
Back to top Go down
Sisyphus
Path
Path

PostSubject: Re: The end of thinking    The end of thinking  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 28, 2017 6:55 pm

Fixed Cross wrote:
Yes, chimps and droids, cybernetically enhanced chimps - with six genders, fifteen phalli, seventeen vaginal orifices and no ears or noses, to strategically upset the enemy into a bout of disgusted laughter to the end of having them all choke in their vomit...

it is highly advanced strategy man.

Well, you went a bit further that I did but I can relate to what you said.

I mean, governments do have to have someone or some thing to do their killing for them.

Back to top Go down
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower
Fixed Cross

PostSubject: Re: The end of thinking    The end of thinking  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 29, 2017 11:13 am

Cybernetic multigenders. I should get the patent.
Back to top Go down
Sisyphus
Path
Path

PostSubject: Re: The end of thinking    The end of thinking  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 29, 2017 6:52 pm

Fixed Cross wrote:
Cybernetic multigenders. I should get the patent.

You would become the wealthy man on the planet.
Back to top Go down
Parodites
Tower
Tower
Parodites

: 856

PostSubject: Re: The end of thinking    The end of thinking  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 29, 2017 7:01 pm

"He spoke to the importance of not forming permanent attachments with others as well as to things."

Fucking, what's the point of any of this then.
Back to top Go down
individualized
Tower
Tower
individualized

PostSubject: Re: The end of thinking    The end of thinking  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 29, 2017 8:08 pm

Parodites wrote:
"He spoke to the importance of not forming permanent attachments with others as well as to things."

Fucking, what's the point of any of this then.

All we ever have are our attachments to others, and to 'things'.
Back to top Go down
Parodites
Tower
Tower
Parodites

: 856

PostSubject: Re: The end of thinking    The end of thinking  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 29, 2017 8:21 pm

I didn't leave my house or interact with another human for literally a decade, the only thing I got from the no attachment thing was a lot of free time, which allowed me to get a lot done I guess. But there is no wisdom in it.

What is love if it isn't a permanent attachment. Maybe there was wisdom in my refusal of attachment, maybe I was wiser once but, if love makes you unwise, "wisdom requires moderation, as does everything else."
Back to top Go down
individualized
Tower
Tower
individualized

PostSubject: Re: The end of thinking    The end of thinking  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 29, 2017 8:51 pm

Yeah, the whole Eastern religious thing of "no attachments" is just a cop out, an excuse to allow the mind and heart to die a quiet death. Return to the nothingness from which you came. Entropy of thanatos.

Basically it is lazy philosophizing. The concept of nirvana is the same, you try to get rid of your desires and attachments in order to achieve... what? Some sort of ideal, perfect and eternal state. Yeah, that is called death, and it isn't a "state" of anything.

The philosophy of no attachments is an ideological means of killing thought, reason, passion, and emotional honesty, and I am sure this serves a purpose, namely to make people complacent so they can be ruled and controlled more easily. "Oh well, life is shit, but life is an illusion anyway! Just disassociate yourself from your suffering!" Lol.

Why is thought, reason, passion, (and desire), and emotional honesty difficult? Because these demand something of us, these demand we make mistakes and own those mistakes so we can learn the next time around. They mandate a progressive journey into self-knowledge and correcting our errors, both cognitively and emotionally. That is the true path, to admit our errors and work harder to own and fix them. This also requires humility, which means real humility rather than they fake cop out of "well we all die, life is an illusion, don't have attachments, desires are not real, blah blah blah" and all that fucking bullshit.
Back to top Go down
individualized
Tower
Tower
individualized

PostSubject: Re: The end of thinking    The end of thinking  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 29, 2017 8:54 pm

When faced with problems there are two options: either you honestly address the problem and try to fix it, which is hard, or you just close your eyes and go "la la la" and pretend the problem doesn't exist, which is easy.
Back to top Go down
Sisyphus
Path
Path

PostSubject: Re: The end of thinking    The end of thinking  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 30, 2017 6:23 am

Well, consider that a vacuum cleaner is useless without attachments.

This attachment concept has been severely messed up by the "new age" philosophers.

The Buddha proposed it in the light of not making "permanent" attachments with things and others as if they were a part of who we are. There is nothing in the universe that is permanent.

We have to understand that things are going to break and people are going to die and that is just the way of the nature of the universe.

Sure, we should hold those we care about in love. We should care for the things that make our life easier. But we must understand that our life will continue until it is our time to transmutate.

Because we lose a loved one or because we lose something that was of great value to us isn't grounds for us to alter our way of life. We can love other people and we can buy new things.

Its all just the passing of time. When we try to hold too tightly we will always face great suffering when we lose that whatever.

The end of suffering was the Buddha's major goal.
Back to top Go down
individualized
Tower
Tower
individualized

PostSubject: Re: The end of thinking    The end of thinking  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 30, 2017 8:21 am

Attachment is the basic category of existing. We are attached to reality, by definition. Eastern philosophy is really about making better attachments over time, but isn't honest enough to come out and say that. It just cloaks it in "attachment / desire is bad" rhetoric.

Denial is never an answer. You should always confront reality and improve it over time. That is truth-seeking, and the ontological basis of existence as such.
Back to top Go down
individualized
Tower
Tower
individualized

PostSubject: Re: The end of thinking    The end of thinking  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 30, 2017 8:22 am

If you have good things to attach yourself to, then more attachment = better. If you have bad things to attach yourself to, then more attachment = bad.

So obviously the problem isn't "attachment" itself.
Back to top Go down
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower
Fixed Cross

PostSubject: Re: The end of thinking    The end of thinking  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 30, 2017 9:08 am

Yes, but not until VO was there any philosophy of attachment.
No philosophy could prescribe attachment without limiting.

Buddha was very attached - to his peace of mind. A western philosopher doesn't have that attachment.

This is what didn't work for me in Buddhism, this insistence on peace. Fuck peace. I want life, which includes struggle with contradiction, or even is that.

Buddhism tends to hone in on those attachments we can't shed, like breath. It then becomes a religion of breathing, attaching with extreme intensity to the breath, seeking all value and meaning in it. And that works pretty well, but it is certainly not shedding attachment, it is focussing attachment on something one can control relatively well.

Gravity is the basic Zen attachment. Zen meditation consists largely of physically being as a mass.

Back to top Go down
Sisyphus
Path
Path

PostSubject: Re: The end of thinking    The end of thinking  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 30, 2017 6:36 pm

Thrasymachus wrote:
If you have good things to attach yourself to, then more attachment = better. If you have bad things to attach yourself to, then more attachment = bad.

So obviously the problem isn't "attachment" itself.

Yeah!

What more can I say? You did that very well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The end of thinking    The end of thinking  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The end of thinking
Page 1 of 1