Before The Light
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Mortal as I am, I know that I am born for a day. But when I follow at my pleasure the serried multitude of the stars in their circular course, my feet no longer touch the earth.'

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

CLOUD Act

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower
Fixed Cross

: 8696

CLOUD Act Empty
PostSubject: CLOUD Act   CLOUD Act Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2018 8:55 pm

Ive been reading a bit beyond the headlines - killing the 4th amendment and such -
it seems a bit more rational than that.
https://futurism.com/everything-need-know-cloud-act/
Basically it is an adaption of already existing laws to the internet age.

The worry is over how privacy doesn't exist anymore.
Anyone who thinks there could be such a thing as privacy online doesn't have the faintest clue what the internet is.

If you want to keep a thing private, maybe consider not uploading it.

This act simply allows governments to keep in the race with the rest of the world.

Besides,

Quote :
Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Where does this mention the right of the people to be secure in their emails?
It seems that the CLOUD Act has no bearing whatsoever on the IVth amendment.

Personally I write everything that I write online with the knowledge that it is being read by al sorts of corporations. I make use of that.
Wanting the internet to be as private as your house is like standing in the middle of Times Square and demanding that no one look at you.

The internet is a network built for the military that is given freely to the people to facilitate their lives. The notion of the right to privacy on this military machine is quite Franky ludicrous. The expectation to be private on Facebook is ludicrous as well. What, you didn't realize that this is a private company? You think something you upload on a private companies servers falls under the 4th amendment?

If you want to be private online, you'll have to go through the troubles of encrypting and deleting after reading. It's what a you would do with a compromising paper document too, even though that is protected by the 4th.

One of the necessary qualities of Laws is that they are formulated with precision so as to be able to interpreted with precision.

Back to top Go down
individualized
Tower
Tower
individualized

: 6982

CLOUD Act Empty
PostSubject: Re: CLOUD Act   CLOUD Act Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2018 8:12 am

I see online activity as similar to shipping packages with UPS. UPS has no right to open your package while you pay them to send it from A to B. That’s how it is or should be with ISPs too.

There is absolutely no need for an ISP to read the packets you send online in order for them to send it from A to B. I talked to a programmer about this to confirm it, it is true.

Obviously if you post something publicly online then it can be seen, and whoever you send an email to will see it, that’s not privacy. Privacy is making sure no third party including ISPs and government can open your packages, your emails. This can absolutely be done. I believe it is an extension of the fourth amendment. It applies to snail mail and it applies to e mail too.
Back to top Go down
individualized
Tower
Tower
individualized

: 6982

CLOUD Act Empty
PostSubject: Re: CLOUD Act   CLOUD Act Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2018 8:36 am

If we reject email privacy and privacy of non-public online transactions then we must accept that our snail mail, our habits in our homes, private conversations, all have a right to be opened, monitored, read, recorded and sold to whoever wants to buy. I obviously reject that idea.

Public online activity is very different than email and private online activity. We have a right to choose what we want to release publicly. Internet law has not caught up to this yet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

CLOUD Act Empty
PostSubject: Re: CLOUD Act   CLOUD Act Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

CLOUD Act
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Before The Light :: Storm :: The World-
Jump to: