Before The Light
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Mortal as I am, I know that I am born for a day. But when I follow at my pleasure the serried multitude of the stars in their circular course, my feet no longer touch the earth.'

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Towards a New Temple

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Pezer
builder
builder

: 2592

Towards a New Temple Empty
PostSubject: Towards a New Temple   Towards a New Temple Icon_minitimeSun Jul 21, 2013 9:33 pm

Let us start here.

The idea is correct, and I think re-enforced concrete is the key. Architecture has been liberated by this man, and now we can focus it on a religiosity of higher instincts.

What could some of those instincts be? How could they be honored? Or honed? Or laughed at?
Back to top Go down
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower
Fixed Cross

: 8696

PostSubject: Re: Towards a New Temple   Towards a New Temple Icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2013 10:37 am

I think this is still too "futuristic", too angular, to haunting.
I have developed temples in 2d, with a compass and a ruler a number of years ago, which I would have to reproduce digitally, preferably in 3d. I was told I could use this free google application for 3d design. It may be time to get to work on that.

I appreciate the topic, as one of the most literal ways of building thought to disclosing the future, so let's keep this alive. Kick me if you don't hear from me here in a while.

Architecture reflects thought, it is thought manifest. This is why of all things the Greeks left us, I most love their temples. These gives us the real nature of their minds, rather than what they themselves thought about their minds.
Back to top Go down
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower
Fixed Cross

PostSubject: Re: Towards a New Temple   Towards a New Temple Icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2013 10:43 am

Our own temples will be completely different from the classical ones. But they need to be equally elegant and conceptually simple: forms need to be primarily "necessary", rather than primarily demonstrative. They should thus be the antithesis of everything Gothic -- yet the experience of sacrality they offer will put the cathedrals to shame. Literally.

A cathedral is after all nothing but a place of shame - the very fact that it blocks out the heavens is a testimony to that, as Nietzsche observed.
Temples have for too long been sanctuary from God.
Back to top Go down
Pezer
builder
builder

PostSubject: Re: Towards a New Temple   Towards a New Temple Icon_minitimeWed Jul 24, 2013 4:18 pm

I don't agree that anti-gothic necesitates simplicity. The escape of the gothic, if God is Chaos as I claim, is the escape from actual complicaticity in life.

The new temples must be very complicated, very intricate, but out of necessity instead of exhuberance. Complicating the building to make it more akin to what we may have the power to affect architecturally is what this mad reinforced concrete building now alows us. We don't need to copy Mr. Neymeyer, just listen to his madnesses. We have no need of straight lines, I see.... So what do we have need for? What do we have need for that we can now do?

Simplicity out of respect, out of rejection of what is gothic, is the very essence of Nazi architecture. In my mind, it proved to be an excelent experiment in what it is about complication we do need, for the power and greatness sought were found, with the cathedral of light, for instance, but we were robbed of the power to chase our tails (it is in chasing our tails that we effect things outside of chasing our tails).
Back to top Go down
Pezer
builder
builder

PostSubject: Re: Towards a New Temple   Towards a New Temple Icon_minitimeWed Jul 24, 2013 4:21 pm

I agree on the importance of this thread. I am being tentative because there is a lot of space for miss take in the ideation of a space wherein space design catches up to our psychology of greatness.
Back to top Go down
Pezer
builder
builder

PostSubject: Re: Towards a New Temple   Towards a New Temple Icon_minitimeWed Jul 24, 2013 4:35 pm

The rounder pod looking things are what really captured my imagination with Neimeyer. Functionality ought to be complicated, simple action is boring for a reason. It only seems pretty to me in the act of killing, the aesthetic of the Samurai.

I'm going to be posting some images of local architecture that inspires me. None of it is "there" yet, but a lot of it has taken important steps out of copy-paste architecture.
Back to top Go down
Pezer
builder
builder

PostSubject: Re: Towards a New Temple   Towards a New Temple Icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 11:43 pm

I've made up my mind... After all, the new temples must seek to be, like the Greek ones, helpful additions and celebrations of life, a thing from where one gets the kind of solace and help one might need for different circumstances of life, in contrast to the dedication of life to the Gods exhibited in Christian religions (including Satanism, which nonetheless is perhaps the only noble religion of the bunch). Fixed Cross once described, I cannot remember if a God or Gods, in any case they were an indistinguishable unity, at which one laughed and to whom one gave out of joy, out of excess vicctory. This is a fine example of what I mean, Gods who intensify the very flavour of life itself as they serve our own wants and victories.

This, of course, leads to a heavily added responsibility to wanting and winning. No longer is one a simple racer in a race... Well, one never was, but now the illusion of the possibility is untennable. The unnease of the abscence of the allmighty, of a single shepherd who, secretive as he was, knew what he was doing and could let you know at any time has left man with an unbearable lightness of being... Well, most men!

Here, I propose the Chaos god. It would be a simple one to venerate, and to worship such an accesible account of the way things pretty much work can act even as a release that would bring men closer to other Gods.

Temples would be chaotic and meant for chaotic use, though controlled as allways. This control over concepts which in the wild are, well, wild is the cornerstone of worship itself, the use of focusing some of our human power in some way as to excercice it and keep it healthy, keep the part of the mind it illuminates healthy. the controll must lead to the entering, participating and exiting of the temple all accentuating life itself, even if they change it. We must use these temples to make religion constructive and accurate, and allways human, all too human.
Back to top Go down
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower
Fixed Cross

PostSubject: Re: Towards a New Temple   Towards a New Temple Icon_minitimeTue Jul 30, 2013 6:34 am

Pezer wrote:
I've made up my mind... After all, the new temples must seek to be, like the Greek ones, helpful additions and celebrations of life, a thing from where one gets the kind of solace and help one might need for different circumstances of life, in contrast to the dedication of life to the Gods exhibited in Christian religions (including Satanism, which nonetheless is perhaps the only noble religion of the bunch). Fixed Cross once described, I cannot remember if a God or Gods, in any case they were an indistinguishable unity, at which one laughed and to whom one gave out of joy, out of excess vicctory. This is a fine example of what I mean, Gods who intensify the very flavour of life itself as they serve our own wants and victories.
Ah, we are now thinking along the same lines.
The temples I have designed are aimed at generating this sort of effect - the general effect, I mean. You become more specific:

Quote :
This, of course, leads to a heavily added responsibility to wanting and winning. No longer is one a simple racer in a race... Well, one never was, but now the illusion of the possibility is untennable. The unnease of the abscence of the allmighty, of a single shepherd who, secretive as he was, knew what he was doing and could let you know at any time has left man with an unbearable lightness of being... Well, most men!
Indeed, this secrecy is precisely what ruins man. The idea that his divinity can only be found in darkness - that is the antithesis of a noble, overflowing spirit. Gods are naked - not just in agony, but in their joy.

I am not suggesting more anthropomorphic Gods - just that joy and "power" need not be shrouded on order to be acceptable.
This means, it seems, introducing "new" forms of joy (perhaps long lost ones) but as you note, these Gods may already be on their way into the mass subconscious, without yet having reached the point of their institutionalization.

Quote :
Here, I propose the Chaos god. It would be a simple one to venerate, and to worship such an accesible account of the way things pretty much work can act even as a release that would bring men closer to other Gods.
I like that. This is very different from my temples, which I might all call Sun-worship devices. Thus, increasers of vitality, cleansers of the subconscious, all that. Essentially they are the antithesis of the one premise all Christian churches shared: IN GODS NAME, KEEP OUT THE LIGHT!

I can see the old dichotomy here, Apollon and Dionysos. If you can, please tell more about how these chaos-God temples would be constructed, how they would function.

When I was in Jerusalem, december 2011, (right after the birth of beforethelight) I visited a Greek Orthodox church. It was by far the most chaotic temple I had ever seen - a labyrinth of sorts, with angry bearded men striding around carrying strange objects almost pushing me out of their way, many alcoves and semi-up and semi-downs, old relics here, some fire there - it was, for a Christian church, very chaotic. But no where near a Dionysiac. At least, It would not have been save for the stone on which Jesus had supposedly lain after his crucifixion. Touching that stone was like taking a very powerful drug. Not quite Dionysian, but it did make me very wildly energetic. But all of that is the worship of the pain of God. We are going into a different direction. Or is perhaps the Chaos God also a God of divine suffering?

Quote :
Temples would be chaotic and meant for chaotic use, though controlled as allways. This control over concepts which in the wild are, well, wild is the cornerstone of worship itself, the use of focusing some of our human power in some way as to excercice it and keep it healthy, keep the part of the mind it illuminates healthy. the controll must lead to the entering, participating and exiting of the temple all accentuating life itself, even if they change it. We must use these temples to make religion constructive and accurate, and allways human, all too human.
There must be an opportunity to lose the sensation of being controlled. To be one with God, to have no censorship.
Back to top Go down
Pezer
builder
builder

PostSubject: Re: Towards a New Temple   Towards a New Temple Icon_minitimeTue Jul 30, 2013 9:08 pm

"There must be an opportunity to lose the sensation of being controlled. To be one with God, to have no censorship."

Agreed.

Along the lines of the potential build-up, the image that has popped to my mind every time I think of the temple is a rave. I like the Greek chaos, too. I am thinking a temple where the Greek structure is modified by using much less conformity of width and hight in spaces, even the half-floors can complicate into reinforced concrete structures with different effects, though the general spirit might be closely watched. Within these spaces, the concept of art in raves can be complicated by liberating the art from the traditions, expanding the form like modern painting did with painting making. The music could complicated by being fucked with beyond the common pressures of party feelings to explore chaotic moments.

Chaos is the worship of being lost, in a sense. Perhaps some holidays would be needed where people wander into well grown natural places and trip, get lost for a couple of days and then, I don't know, a spotlight shows them the way back.

Perhaps some mix of temple and nature can also be reahced, with half open spaces interwining with the forest or whatever place. Drugs would be delivered oldschool FPS style, in cool delivery systems or just simply there or whatever. Maybe sometimes with instructions, maybe sometimes not.

I saw a documentary on Vice the other day that I can't find now about a guy who made a whole hill of christian art. Every day for 20something years he would get up and add to the structure, fix problems, paint, make relief, add crazyness to crazy places that were rarely simply sculptural.
Back to top Go down
Pezer
builder
builder

PostSubject: Re: Towards a New Temple   Towards a New Temple Icon_minitimeFri Aug 02, 2013 9:21 pm

We are the danger. That which we fear is us.

How do we transmit this joyous message?
Back to top Go down
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower
Fixed Cross

PostSubject: Re: Towards a New Temple   Towards a New Temple Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 9:25 pm

Good question.
Back to top Go down
Pezer
builder
builder

PostSubject: Re: Towards a New Temple   Towards a New Temple Icon_minitimeSat Aug 17, 2013 11:11 pm

Whatever the architecture is, it might revolve around this: somehow, each member will have to begin and work on a project. The temple will serve as a place to figure out and work on the project, with mages manipulating situations to help people explore their "Nietzschean" side in doses they can benefit from.

To this end, a laberynthian, shifting order might be cool. I really don't know what the place can look like. Maybe it includes a rotating roster of violent activities and drug areas.
Back to top Go down
Pezer
builder
builder

PostSubject: Re: Towards a New Temple   Towards a New Temple Icon_minitimeSat Aug 31, 2013 2:06 am

I am realizing that a religion cannot be planned. It has to be made as a consequence of a Nietzschean re-evaluation.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Towards a New Temple   Towards a New Temple Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Towards a New Temple
Page 1 of 1