Before The Light
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Mortal as I am, I know that I am born for a day. But when I follow at my pleasure the serried multitude of the stars in their circular course, my feet no longer touch the earth.'

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

An Epithet

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Pezer
builder
builder

: 2592

An Epithet Empty
PostSubject: An Epithet   An Epithet Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 5:58 pm

Nietzsche,

A commentator on evolution.
Back to top Go down
Sisyphus
Path
Path

: 1649

An Epithet Empty
PostSubject: Re: An Epithet   An Epithet Icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2016 4:10 pm

But not of Darwinian evolution but the evolution of morality.

Back to top Go down
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower
Fixed Cross

: 8696

An Epithet Empty
PostSubject: Re: An Epithet   An Epithet Icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2016 12:43 am

Pezer sees everything as evolution, or evolution as everything.

We have never been able to establish a common agreement on it.

I see evolution as all moments of usurping by a self-valuing of a situation;
morality is thus, per Capables definition that I interpreted in the other thread, evolution itself, from the perspective of the human.
Back to top Go down
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower
Fixed Cross

An Epithet Empty
PostSubject: Re: An Epithet   An Epithet Icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2016 12:46 am

To my mind the word evolution could have, among some darwinian schemata, a picture of Nietzsche in the dictionary;
there is no image more true to evolution than the troubled face of a philosopher.
The glory of trouble, all crime aspires to philosophy. But its just too silly.
Back to top Go down
Sisyphus
Path
Path

An Epithet Empty
PostSubject: Re: An Epithet   An Epithet Icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2016 6:04 am

Fixed Cross wrote:
Pezer sees everything as evolution, or evolution as everything.

I have actually been tempted to view life similar to Pezer's. Evolution, devolution, or stagnation.

The crocodile has been stagnate for about 150 million years. And doing fine as along as humans don't kill them all.

Back to top Go down
individualized
Tower
Tower
individualized

: 6982

An Epithet Empty
PostSubject: Re: An Epithet   An Epithet Icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2016 9:37 am

The problem with evolution and why it doesn't apply to humans anymore is that evolution only cares about one value: survival. "Crocodiles..." yeah exactly. And sharks and cockroaches. These organisms simply survive, that is all-- they do not progress. According to evolution's own terms, survival = stagnation.

This is why true progress and growth takes place beyond evolutionary terms. You need philosophy to begin to describe what progress truly means. Survival as such is just a single basic condition of progress, that is all. If survival is the goal of life then life has no goals, which is how life is for most life-forms (humans the number one exception to that, probably a small number of other species that also can be considered exceptions).

I like evolution, as I like nature and animals; but the "purpose" of nature and evolution was to make humans. Now that humans exist we operate by a new set of rules, new standards for progress. One strange possibility is that given what human and human world mean, it might not even be possible for humans to "not progress". Philosophy can turn even stagnation into truth.
Back to top Go down
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower
Fixed Cross

An Epithet Empty
PostSubject: Re: An Epithet   An Epithet Icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2016 12:47 pm

I see it differently - I perceive the drives in human society directly as species, and the human societies as equally adequate to evolution of these drives as a physical environment is to species of animals. Thus the Nietzschean philosophic drives appear to me literally as a 'roaming pack' and the Paroditean drives as a kind of fountain from which new species can feed themselves into being. The Pentad I experience as an engine - no, even a stomach of evolution.

"Humanity" is an environment rather than a species. Philosophies are species inside of it.
Back to top Go down
individualized
Tower
Tower
individualized

: 6982

An Epithet Empty
PostSubject: Re: An Epithet   An Epithet Icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2016 2:01 pm

Nice perspective. I like this.

"Species-ness" reversed in humanity then, the physical organic biological strata that is what species means in other animals is actually reversed and inverted in humanity so as to become the environment as such, that which pressures and drives evolutionary changes. The idea-forms are now what really evolve as "beings". Certain ideas shape humanity-environ and those ideas that shape it in such a way as to allow themselves to perpetuate within this environ, will tend to survive. And so individual people are just the instance-points of various naturally selected idea-forms living out a current environment.

Truth becomes the reality between the ideas and the humanity as environment. Thus ideas are justified only if they impact this environment in certain ways beneficial to that idea's survival. Hm... no I can't agree to that. I think it's the opposite: the ideas are the environment and the "humanity" is what evolves within that environment. This is how I see it anyway.
Back to top Go down
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower
Fixed Cross

An Epithet Empty
PostSubject: Re: An Epithet   An Epithet Icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2016 2:25 pm

We are however using different meanings of the term humanity; you have always approached it as a kind of phenomenon-standard to do with the structure of cognition and emotion - whereas I merely take it as the biological species, which I do not respect very much as an entity, as it contains much more that is impure and unworthy than any other species does. I see this as the very dirty, funky environment from which philosophical drives come to emerge, and in turn I see these drives as the birth-plasma, or womb and vulva to the Individual, the human entity, which only exists qua philosophy, and not qua animal.

All human individuals are philosophers - this is why the late teens and early twenties are among most philosophical ages of a human - bu philosophy an identity takes hold here out of pure excess, and then it usually deteriorates again into mere nature and the incompleteness-drudge of humanity. We wisely make these heroes into our examples, but we have not ever seen these people move beyond being merely a coincidental incident of real being. Instead, we cram them together in a box, the entertainment-screen, so as to milk them of their virtue and turn their being into fuel and fire - but to passions that have a very low roof.

In the end the 'entertainment industry' will shed its economic-institutional umbrella and reveal itself as a storm of valuing. In that moment the world will be set free, to a different paradigm of (self-)possession.
Back to top Go down
Sisyphus
Path
Path

An Epithet Empty
PostSubject: Re: An Epithet   An Epithet Icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2016 3:14 pm

Capable wrote:
The problem with evolution and why it doesn't apply to humans anymore is that evolution only cares about one value: survival. "Crocodiles..." yeah exactly. And sharks and cockroaches. These organisms simply survive, that is all-- they do not progress. According to evolution's own terms, survival = stagnation.

This is why true progress and growth takes place beyond evolutionary terms. You need philosophy to begin to describe what progress truly means. Survival as such is just a single basic condition of progress, that is all. If survival is the goal of life then life has no goals, which is how life is for most life-forms (humans the number one exception to that, probably a small number of other species that also can be considered exceptions).

I like evolution, as I like nature and animals; but the "purpose" of nature and evolution was to make humans. Now that humans exist we operate by a new set of rules, new standards for progress. One strange possibility is that given what human and human world mean, it might not even be possible for humans to "not progress". Philosophy can turn even stagnation into truth.

Nice response. I'm not sure about you last paragraph though. The word "purpose" always leave me empty-minded.

We humans have been around for such a short period of time. But we have seen the animal evolve by leaps and bounds. Have we reached the state of the crocodile? I actually think we, the majority, have begun the process of devolution. And the rest are stagnate already.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

An Epithet Empty
PostSubject: Re: An Epithet   An Epithet Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

An Epithet
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Before The Light :: Sap :: Interpretation :: Nietzsche Campfire-
Jump to: