Before The Light
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Mortal as I am, I know that I am born for a day. But when I follow at my pleasure the serried multitude of the stars in their circular course, my feet no longer touch the earth.'

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

J.R.R. Tolkien

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Pezer
builder
builder

: 2592

J.R.R. Tolkien Empty
PostSubject: J.R.R. Tolkien   J.R.R. Tolkien Icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2015 8:48 pm

One of the things that impresses me about Tolkien is how he reversed Nietzsche's procession. First, with The Hobbit, he was a child, then, with The Lord of The Rings he was a Lion, and finally with The Silmarilion he was the Camel. I guess he would have gone into chameleon if given enough time, though maybe his studies on linguistics represent this.

The Hobbit, by the way, is a fantastic book to read as an older child, 8 to 13. So awesome. His original conception of dwarves and hobbits was to give children powerful figures to relate to.
Back to top Go down
individualized
Tower
Tower
individualized

: 6982

J.R.R. Tolkien Empty
PostSubject: Re: J.R.R. Tolkien   J.R.R. Tolkien Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 1:15 pm

Great insight about the reverse procession of Nietzsche's idea. Although the child in Hobbit is more of an incipient, expectant state rather than the result of a former completion and passing-beyond as in the case of Nietzsche's child post-lion, post-camel, but in either case the characteristics are similar there - much overcoming by the end of the book. I very much enjoyed reading The Hobbit as a youth, I had this really nice edition of the book, large with graphics and an ornate, old-looking binding and cover. I remember when I saw it in the book store, I immediately fell in love with it and begged my dad to buy it for me.. it was winter, the snow was falling in big slow flakes, and then we went to McDonalds after buying the book. In some ways, the experience of reading that book at a young age and for the first time, may have been my original introduction into philosophy.
Back to top Go down
Pezer
builder
builder

: 2592

J.R.R. Tolkien Empty
PostSubject: Re: J.R.R. Tolkien   J.R.R. Tolkien Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 1:29 pm

I had the asthetic experience with The Lord of The Rings, which I read from a library in its original 9 book format, each one black with a different symbol. So medieval...

I think Tolkien is almost a perfect mirror for a philosopher: like a Maerlin, he shows in reverse the truths of immmediate insights. The Lord of The Rings is what Medieval literature would FEEL like in modern times, not because of a more cynical perspective which he explicitly condemned but because of a wider field of experience. What we now know, so to speak, about princehood. Some of his battles read like a Homeric chapter, a dry list of fallen Nobles with Adjectives, evoking a greatness so immediate that the distance takes form as concrete distance. Gandalf is a dangerous motherfucker who just Happens to be on the hobbits' side, a return or rather update of the original wild wizard. Lore Master (philosopher).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

J.R.R. Tolkien Empty
PostSubject: Re: J.R.R. Tolkien   J.R.R. Tolkien Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

J.R.R. Tolkien
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Before The Light :: Sap :: Earth-
Jump to: