Before The Light
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Mortal as I am, I know that I am born for a day. But when I follow at my pleasure the serried multitude of the stars in their circular course, my feet no longer touch the earth.'

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Value: Intrinsic, Contingent, Both/Neither?

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Value: Intrinsic, Contingent, Both/Neither? Empty
PostSubject: Value: Intrinsic, Contingent, Both/Neither?   Value: Intrinsic, Contingent, Both/Neither? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2016 11:31 am

"Barbara Herrnstein Smith (born 1932) is an American literary critic and theorist, best known for her work Contingencies of Value: Alternative Perspectives for Critical Theory."-Wikipedia

What is the "nature" of value? Is value obvious? Where does value fit into the framework of logic? In other words, is it predictable?

"val·ue
ˈvalyo͞o/Submit
noun
plural noun: values
the regard that something is held to deserve; the importance, worth, or usefulness of something.
"your support is of great value"
synonyms: worth, usefulness, advantage, benefit, gain, profit, good, help, merit, helpfulness, avail; More
a person's principles or standards of behavior; one's judgment of what is important in life.
"they internalize their parents' rules and values"
synonyms: principles, ethics, moral code, morals, standards, code of behavior
"society's values are passed on to us as children"
verb
3rd person present: values
estimate the monetary worth of (something).
"his estate was valued at $45,000"
synonyms: evaluate, assess, estimate, appraise, price, put/set a price on
"his estate was valued at $345,000"
consider (someone or something) to be important or beneficial; have a high opinion of.
"she had come to value her privacy and independence"
synonyms: think highly of, have a high opinion of, hold in high regard, rate highly, esteem, set (great) store by, put stock in, appreciate, respect; More"-Google
Back to top Go down

Value: Intrinsic, Contingent, Both/Neither?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Before The Light :: Storm :: Science-
Jump to: