Before The Light
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Mortal as I am, I know that I am born for a day. But when I follow at my pleasure the serried multitude of the stars in their circular course, my feet no longer touch the earth.'

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

If so -

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower
Fixed Cross

: 8696

If so  - Empty
PostSubject: If so -   If so  - Icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2016 9:40 pm

I lazily looked up some Hegel quotes to put in a meme of an American Eagle, and hit on this one:

Amid the pressure of great events, a general principle gives no help.

What would the context be? In any case it is wrong - but only since Schopenhauer and them did the solution to this error thinkable again -
Plato and Hegel are quite similar -
Socrates and his type of dialectic work in the same way - to assume above a metaphysics and reduce all social dynamic of value to that Universal hypothesis - leaving in the end nothing but the dead of Socrates and Athens.

If we can melt Hegel in the oven that he is, then we can also forge a new instrument out of some of the parts - if the oven can generate heat, perhaps if we insert our principles that defy Hegels fatalism-universalism into the Hegelian-Socratic friction (that is what it is, I figure now, pure friction - haste of entropy - beyond the principle of honing, at least to themselves - ) -

well but this is already being done.
Back to top Go down
Arcturus Descending
arrow
arrow
Arcturus Descending

: 307

If so  - Empty
PostSubject: Re: If so -   If so  - Icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2016 9:55 am

Fixed Cross wrote:
I lazily looked up some Hegel quotes to put in a meme of an American Eagle, and hit on this one:

What would the context be? In any case it is wrong - but only since Schopenhauer and them did the solution to this error thinkable again -
Plato and Hegel are quite similar -
Socrates and his type of dialectic work in the same way - to assume above a metaphysics and reduce all social dynamic of value to that Universal hypothesis - leaving in the end nothing but the dead of Socrates and Athens.

If we can melt Hegel in the oven that he is, then we can also forge a new instrument out of some of the parts - if the oven can generate heat, perhaps if we insert our principles that defy Hegels fatalism-universalism into the Hegelian-Socratic friction (that is what it is, I figure now, pure friction - haste of entropy - beyond the principle of honing, at least to themselves - ) -

well but this is already being done.

So are you saying that you disagree with the quote, FC?
Back to top Go down
Sisyphus
Path
Path

: 1649

If so  - Empty
PostSubject: Re: If so -   If so  - Icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2016 2:18 pm

Arcturus Descending wrote:

So are you saying that you disagree with the quote, FC?

I couldn't tell either. But I know that Sun Tzu (The Art of War) would totally disagree. Everything we do must be based in principles.
Back to top Go down
individualized
Tower
Tower
individualized

: 6982

If so  - Empty
PostSubject: Re: If so -   If so  - Icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2016 2:28 pm

It's really important to read Hegel one-liners in their context. That's why I try to quote him in only paragraphs, at minimum.
Back to top Go down
Arcturus Descending
arrow
arrow
Arcturus Descending

: 307

If so  - Empty
PostSubject: Re: If so -   If so  - Icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2017 11:29 am

Quote :

It may give help but then again it may not.

Heraclitus said, "You cannot step into the same river twice, for other waters are continually flowing on.

We pre-suppose that because something generally works for us, for instance, because we have our own code of ethics or way of doing things, it will always work for us.

Amid the pressure of great events though, sometimes our way of thinking and doing, has to go right out the window. Others whose waters are also continually flowing, will also be seeing thing differently and reacting differently due to great pressures - for instance, fighting to stay alive or to keep others alive.

When something is of the greatest importance, there have to be new ways of thinking or acting. Change calls for and invents new changes.

We have to think on our feet and that thinking doesn't necessarily follow a general principle.
Sometimes we will have to get just as down and dirty. Morality doesn't necessarily enter in when the rules have changed and sometime greater is in the wings.

Am I wrong?

Back to top Go down
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower
Fixed Cross

: 8696

If so  - Empty
PostSubject: Re: If so -   If so  - Icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2017 6:13 pm

Capable is right of course, my isolating that line is a bit fallacious. I don't even have the context, mea culpa.

Let's assume for a moment some random dude made just this statement, that a general principle isn't useful when it comes down to solving a real life crisis.

Gravity is a general principle. So is action = -reaction. And these principles serve very well in crisis situations, in fact to not heed these principles is guaranteed to cause crisis situations.
Back to top Go down
Drops_Of_Jupiter
bowstring
bowstring

: 32

If so  - Empty
PostSubject: Re: If so -   If so  - Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2017 12:57 am

Arcturus Descending wrote:

Quote :

It may give help but then again it may not.

Heraclitus said, "You cannot step into the same river twice, for other waters are continually flowing on.

We pre-suppose that because something generally works for us, for instance,  because we have our own code of ethics or way  of doing things, it will always work for us.

Amid the pressure of great events though, sometimes our way of thinking and doing, has to go right out the window. Others whose waters are also continually flowing, will also be seeing thing differently and reacting differently due to great pressures - for instance, fighting to stay alive or to keep others alive.

When something is of the greatest importance, there have to be new ways of thinking or acting. Change calls for and invents new changes.

We have to think on our feet and that thinking doesn't necessarily follow a general principle.
Sometimes we will have to get just as down and dirty. Morality doesn't necessarily enter in when the rules have changed and sometime greater is in the wings.

Am I wrong?

Well put! I don't think you are wrong. Your logic made sense!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

If so  - Empty
PostSubject: Re: If so -   If so  - Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

If so -
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Before The Light :: Storm :: Ethics-
Jump to: