Before The Light
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Mortal as I am, I know that I am born for a day. But when I follow at my pleasure the serried multitude of the stars in their circular course, my feet no longer touch the earth.'

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

before the word

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Fixed Cross
Tower
Tower
Fixed Cross

: 8696

before the word  Empty
PostSubject: before the word     before the word  Icon_minitimeSat Apr 08, 2017 5:08 pm

It is believed that the first signs and sounds of language originated as religious practices.

But this is natural, and unavoidable, because the power of speech introduces the very thing that we now know as God. With language, man distances himself from himself into a separate entity, which can be inherited by people he will never have physical ties to. And this is what God is; that possibility of being by not actually being, namely by, instead of in a particular way and place, being everywhere and in every way, always. At least that is how Spinoza finally approached God as a concept within that language-magic that had evolved finally to catch up with the system of hallucinations its imperfection (namely its non locality, which prevents it from Being, to speak Heidegger, prevents it from emerging and unfolding in time) had produced in time on the soft bed of the human brain.

Now to the post that inspired me to make this thread.

Thrasymachus wrote:
Quote :
Before the alphabet was invented, early writing systems had been based on pictographic symbols known as hieroglyphics, or on cuneiform wedges, produced by pressing a stylus into soft clay. Because these methods required a plethora of symbols to identify each and every word, writing was complex and limited to a small group of highly-trained scribes. Sometime during the second millennium B.C. (estimated between 1850 and 1700 B.C.), a group of Semitic-speaking people adapted a subset of Egyptian hieroglyphics to represent the sounds of their language. This Proto-Sinaitic script is often considered the first alphabetic writing system, where unique symbols stood for single consonants (vowels were omitted). Written from right to left and spread by Phoenician maritime merchants who occupied part of modern Lebanon, Syria and Israel, this consonantal alphabet—also known as an abjad—consisted of 22 symbols simple enough for ordinary traders to learn and draw, making its use much more accessible and widespread.

By the 8th century B.C., the Phoenician alphabet had spread to Greece, where it was refined and enhanced to record the Greek language.

http://www.history.com/news/ask-history/who-created-the-first-alphabet

What a great connection there, right to Ancient Greece.

https://beforethelight.forumotion.com/t914p50-is-trump-caving#10563

Let us try to reach back into those times, and dig up the state of being that gave forth the word.
Or let's at least conceive of the difficulty of that quest, and see if in our trembling before it we catch scent of a path.
Back to top Go down
Sisyphus
Path
Path

: 1649

before the word  Empty
PostSubject: Re: before the word     before the word  Icon_minitimeSat Apr 08, 2017 7:27 pm

Fixed Cross wrote:
It is believed that the first signs and sounds of language originated as religious practices.

I don't accept that. It would have been about survival.
Back to top Go down
Sauwelios
bowstring
bowstring
Sauwelios

: 125

before the word  Empty
PostSubject: Re: before the word     before the word  Icon_minitimeSun Apr 09, 2017 3:57 am

Fixed Cross wrote:
Let us try to reach back into those times, and dig up the state of being that gave forth the word.

These are two completely different things. The former ("those times") is when the alphabet was invented--and not even written language in general. The latter, the emergence of the word, happened long before that. And I tend to agree with Sisyphus about the latter.

Quote :
[T]he power of speech introduces the very thing that we now know as God. With language, man distances himself from himself into a separate entity, which can be inherited by people he will never have physical ties to. And this is what God is; that possibility of being by not actually being, namely by, instead of in a particular way and place, being everywhere and in every way, always. At least that is how Spinoza finally approached God as a concept within that language-magic that had evolved finally to catch up with the system of hallucinations its imperfection (namely its non locality, which prevents it from Being, to speak Heidegger, prevents it from emerging and unfolding in time) had produced in time on the soft bed of the human brain.

Yes. The Logos. Logic's self-identical "A". The cosmic Bull conceived as not having sprung from Chaos (X) and never to exit the world stage (-os). The Platonic eidos of the bull.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

before the word  Empty
PostSubject: Re: before the word     before the word  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

before the word
Page 1 of 1